PDA

View Full Version : Starter Issues and maybe more. . . Advice Needed

WakeSurfCanada
08-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Hey Guys,

Recently purchased an 87 Sunsport (Or so I have been told) with a 351 PCM, bought it for 3k with the knowledge that it needed some TLC. Seller claimed it had run the year previously, but the deeper I dig the less I believe that.

Was told it needed a starter and it would be good to go, Well i purchased a starter from NAPA based on the one that I pulled out, and I am questioning if it was even the right one to begin with.

Please see the attached pic and let me know if that looks like the correct starter, or even just placement of the starter gear within the casting.

Any help will be greatly apreciated,

87SunSportMikeyD
08-12-2010, 03:31 PM
I just had the same issue. I bought it two years ago, and it had what I thought was the stock starter. I got a new one from NAPA, had no problems last year. This year the boat is in for more major work and the mechanic said the starter was totally wrong and undersized for the boat. Sorry but I dont have a part number yet.

WakeSurfCanada
08-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the quick reply mikey!

opps forgot the pics!

I'm thinking that the starter that was in there may not have even been the right one to engage on the starter gear, got the new one in and all it does it is spin!

Pic's of the starter and my new toy!

I guess in the meantime, can anyone confirm if this infact an 87 Sunsport?
I know it has been painted with anti-fouling paint on the bottom, but it does look to have a dark blue gel coat underneath that

Salty87
08-12-2010, 06:10 PM
unless you know the previous owner personally...don't ever trust what a previous owner has done. some of the components under the engine cover can spark or leak gas if you use non-marine approved parts....starter, carb, dist cap, i'm drawing a blank on the rest.

www.skidim.com is your friend for parts. they are very helpful and some of them own old supras. there's a sticky at the top of the repair section for a discount. there are cheaper places to buy parts but as a beginner, you can't beat the level of knowledge they have with these boats.

you can check the plate on the hull for the year. on the transom above the swim platform on the driver's side (starboard, aye!). it will have some letters and the last 2 numbers of the year will be mixed in. i'm guessing an 85 looking at the bow rail and interior shot.

don't forget to give that puppy a tune up, change the impeller, check the hoses and battery cables/connections, change the oil/filter, and inspect the transmission fluid.

Supra-in-steamboat
08-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Nice score Canada. Your boat does resemble the 87 lay out pretty closely. Your windshield has a bit smaller side triangles than my 87 which throws me off a bit. I know some had different windshields/ seating layout , but this is from memory as i've tossed most of the photos/ads from boats I had while searching for mine. Your photos make me sway towards thinking it is a SunSport- not positive but pretty swaying.
Starter looks like my old one. Napa should be able to get you what you need. Mine had some wierd zerk fitting on it which makes me think it wasn't stock. Good luck man- thanks for the pics, toss up some others when you get time, someone will recognize.

fastab
08-12-2010, 09:26 PM
If you look at the serial number on the hull, the last couple numbers will tell you the year of the boat.

That looks like it is a permanent magnet starter they are a lot smaller than the old ones that had field magnets that were OEM at the time, I know that most new manufacturers have gone to the permanent magnet starters. You can get rebuilt ones as well.

Where were you from, I know of a good place around Edmonton Alberta he can usually have one in a day.

WakeSurfCanada
08-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, as mentioned earlier, as I dig deeper into this things it becomes more of a "Jackpot" with every bolt I take off.

Found some rust on a few the spark plugs when I pulled them, so I Have dumped all kinds of penetrating oils down the cylinders to see if i can get this thing turning over at least.

Going to take back the current starter and see if I can find something more suiting at this point.

I will keep you posted!

Oh Yea, I'm located just north of Toronto for Fastab! So AB is a bit far, but I appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Supra-in-steamboat
08-13-2010, 12:53 PM
I looked at a boat that had sat for at least 6 years... The mechanic actually put tranny fluid in the oil res and turned the motor manually. I hope it turns over for you man. Good luck.

chautauquasun
08-13-2010, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't bother with trying to replace the starter with what was original. You should go to db electrical online and purchase the high torque starter they have on their for marine use. I bought mine last year and it was like I bought a brand new boat. I cant say enough about it...it is cheap and comes with a warranty. You maybe able to find some of my other posts on here about it. For the money you can beat it...and you will be very pleased with it. Mikey can vouch for DB electrical...I think he bought his alternator off of them. Here is the link to the part you need.
http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-2295-new-mercruiser-marine-omc-cw-starter-ford-engine-3205-marine-sfd0001.aspx

You may want to give them a quick call just to make sure I gave you right part link. They are extremely helpful.

Good Luck.

Dan

87SunSportMikeyD
08-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks Dan I was gonna post that but I have not gotten starters through them so I did not know what part to recommend. DB rules, call them if you have any questions, they are SUPER kick!!!

wotan2525
08-13-2010, 07:05 PM
x3 on the db electrical guys... I'll be buying that starter next time I need one. The alternator I got from them has been top notch.

WakeSurfCanada
08-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks again for all the info guys!

Here's an update:

It looks like it is an 85, based on the stamp @ the back of the hull.

Put the right starter in and it seems to be engaging but still no turning over of the motor.

After pulling the plugs and filling them with a plethora of "SeaFoam: Deep Creep" and lots of WD-40 and a Johnson Bar on the Flywheel/Crank it finally broke loose (Well sort of) Haven't got a full revolution out of it yet, but I'm getting there.

A stringer replacement may be in the future for this boat, if it going to be around for a few more years. After reading up on some of the other builds I will likely take the job on myself as I have a fair bit of woodworking/fibreglass under my belt. That being said, it may be a full on rebuild to accommodate a full on marine sound system in this beast as its my profession. (Alpine Electronics)

Looks like I might get a ride in behind this beast before the summer is out! :D

wotan2525
08-17-2010, 11:36 AM
PM me if you can beat Sonic on Alpine prices... need a new deck and hull remote in the near future.

WakeSurfCanada
08-18-2010, 09:50 AM
PM me if you can beat Sonic on Alpine prices... need a new deck and hull remote in the near future.

Sorry Wotan,

Might be able to help you out if you were up in Canada, but dealing with the shipping across the border is a pain these days. Sonic is likley your best bet, although, to the best of my knowledge they are not a registered dealer? So buyer beware!

wotan2525
08-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Hah! Thanks.... I won't buy from Sonic any more. I bought a Hifonics Brutus from them and it was a complete nightmare when it arrived DOA. They are off of my list.

WakeSurfCanada
09-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey Guys,

Just a little update on this, IT RUNS!!!!!!

After the new starter and lots of oils down the cylinders, and some time spent figuring out the timing and firing order.

It pulls hard through all RPM's and I'm pumped to have got this beast running considering the way it was when I recieved it. Some more TLC, a tower, and potentially a stringer job are in this boats future.

Looks like today may be one of the last good days of the season, so leaving work early and getting out on the lake is defiantly in order.

Thanks to all for your input and help. This forum is SAWEEET!

87SunSportMikeyD
09-07-2010, 06:17 PM
AWESOME!!!!!! Report back with pics!~ :)