PDA

View Full Version : '86 Supra Saltare or an '86 Supra Sunsport

duckseatfree
08-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Ok, So I've narrowed my choices to an '86 Supra Saltare or an '86 Supra Sunsport. Both are pretty much in identical (great) condition - interior, floor, stringers, motor, etc.

I wanted to get your guys takes if anyone has had experience with either of these boats....performance (comparison) wakeboarding and wakesurfing.....

I'll try to post pics later mid-next week

wotan2525
08-13-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm partial to the saltare (probably because I own one) but it is a BIG boat. Take into consideration your tow vehicle (I don't like taking mine on the interstate with a 2003 F150 w/ towing package) and your storage options (It won't fit in a standard garage) If you regularly have 6+ people out with you, I think you'll appreciate the extra space.... but... I sometimes think about how much easier life could be with something just a hair smaller.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-13-2010, 06:33 PM
If you hardcore into weighting, you may want to consider the 454 motor in the Salt.

sybrmike
08-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Wotan hit it.

While very similar in appearance, the extra 2' makes a big difference. The Salt will take more room, ballast, gas, tow vehicle, etc. And the funky rear seats don't really increase the usable space much. That said, I specifically sought out a Saltare cause I grew up in 18' runabouts and jetboats & wanted more room for my family.

Otherwise, go with the one with the best stringers...

csuggs
08-14-2010, 08:30 AM
I just love the Sunsport. It is a bit smaller, but we regularly have 6 or 7 in the boat wit no real issues. But I agree, you should buy the one that is in the best condition for the money. That being equal, buy the one that appeals more to you.

Okie Boarder
08-16-2010, 05:39 PM
I agree with what everyone has said. You will get a little more room with the Saltare, but other factors should be taken into consideration as well. I love the Sunsport, but I've never physically seen a Saltare, so I'm ignorant to the true size differences in person.

duckseatfree
08-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Thanks Guys. So the Saltare is that much heavier?

The only issue I would have is that I have a '90 Jeep Cherokee - which I know won't have a problem towing the Sunsport...I think towing capacity is 5,500lbs....I would like the extra room, but that could cause a slight problem.

Although....I am going to get a 2010 Xterra in Dec...

Also...I'll post pics sometime tomorrow.

Longitudinaldreamer
08-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Hi Duckseat,

I just picked up a 86 saltare and love it! Lot's of room and all but it is heavy! I pull with a suburban and you can certainly feel it back there. I would be a little reluctant to pull it with a jeep except for short trips-hopefully the trailer brakes are in good shape. I, too, looked at a few SS's but went with the saltare because of price and condition and extra room. Good luck and let us know how it all shakes out. If you decide on the salty i'd like to see pics if you could.

sybrmike
08-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Theoretically - the manual lists the Sunsport at 2950# and the Salt at 3450#, so roughly 500# difference between the hulls. Then add some extra for added fuel capacity, more trailer, etc.

Realistically - the Saltare tows like a much heavier boat. Again, I second Wotan's comment - even after pulling the interior, floor, and all the wet foam behind the helm, my Ram 1500 hemi w/ tow package was downshifting hard at times to make it up some overpasses on my way to a buddies shop pull the engine. I hauled an 86 Rider last year & don't remember my truck working near that hard.

I used to have a 91 Cherokee and my folks had an older Xterra - no way would I want to haul a Salt over any distance with either.

wotan2525
08-17-2010, 11:32 AM
No way can a '90 Cherokee OR a 2010 Xterra pull the Saltare. I know they are listed at 3450# (and maybe my trailer is setup wrong) but the tongue weight is the reason they tow so heavy. I know that my Tongue weight is 800-1000lbs (and there's no way to relocate the fenders to push the axels forward.)

3450 - boat (stock)
2000 - trailer
300 - gas

That gets you within spitting distance of 6000lbs without any gear/tower/stereo or beverages. Unless you want to purchase a big tow-vehicle, I think you just answered your own question. ;)

duckseatfree
08-17-2010, 11:45 AM
I think you guys got it right...thanks for doing that math
The Saltare would be too much for the jeep.