PDA

View Full Version : Another GO PRO HD Video...

Fman
08-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Another video of myself wakeboarding with GO PRO, sorry no flips, my oldest son is towing me. I was able to pull a 180 off in the air, one step a time :D, water was incredible, another great day!

Ballast in this video was front bag full, wakeplate a 1/2, 22.4 MPH, 65' rope length.
VIMEO...

http://www.vimeo.com/14126275

You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQf3z7AfL40&fmt=22

dusty2221
08-13-2010, 05:38 PM
You are about to cost me $250. My wife will not be happy with you. What's you number so she can give you an earful when she is don with me?

87SunSportMikeyD
08-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks for choosing Vimeo hehe! DAMNIT that thing is 250 noooo I really want one too. What an amzing lake and sunshine!! So many comments! Also love your other video, love the fist bump. Little ripper looks like he's ready to start poppin. Shoulders back stand tall. I really like the song you chose for that video, who is it by? Also I cant help but notice you put GoPro in your video title and there are sponsored links for GoPro underneith wowww.....

Fman
08-13-2010, 07:32 PM
You are about to cost me $250. My wife will not be happy with you. What's you number so she can give you an earful when she is don with me?

You will also need a memory card, I recommend the 32GB high speed class 10. If you go slower than a class 10 it wont record well, and the 32GB will give you a lot of storage (4 hours of video and a TON of pics). I picked up my 32GB card for $89 at Frys electronics.

Tell your wife its all about the memories, gotta capture them! hope you enjoy the camera.

ScottnAz
08-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Great videos Travis, thanks for sharing em'
That water looks soooo smooth..... why aren't you surfin it? You're messing up the good water for us surfers! :)

Fman
08-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Scott, interesting this year we have rarely been getting the surfboards out, pretty much wakeboarding and kneeboarding. The kneeboards are great for kids who cant wakeboard, especially now they have the handle holders built in. We have two of them so they can double up together.

That would have been some great surfing water too! Cant wait for September, up here it is the epic time to go out on the weekdays, everyone is back in school and all the lakes are empty! weather is still nice and toasty!

Fman
08-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Great videos Travis, thanks for sharing em'
That water looks soooo smooth..... why aren't you surfin it? You're messing up the good water for us surfers! :)

When are you picking up your GO PRO for some surf video for us!!!! that would be cool to mount on the board and face it towards the boat and back at you surfing!

ScottnAz
08-14-2010, 09:24 PM
When are you picking up your GO PRO for some surf video for us!!!! that would be cool to mount on the board and face it towards the boat and back at you surfing!
I've been hinting to the old lady that I want the GO PRO......my birthday is next weekend.....fingers are crossed :)

Scott, interesting this year we have rarely been getting the surfboards out, pretty much wakeboarding and kneeboarding.
Funny, cause I am yet to step foot in my wakeboard this year. Every time we go out, I tell myself I'm going to wakeboard. Well, maybe next time. I've stopped bringing my slalom ski alltogether, which is saying quite a bit cause I can ski a pretty tight course. Just not enough energy in my old age :)

jaywidhalm
08-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Nice vids Trav...especially nice editing with the music and all...fine job!!

KY Steve
08-16-2010, 10:55 AM
that would be cool to mount on the board and face it towards the boat and back at you surfing!

I'm not near the surfer Scott is but here are a few vids from those persptectives. They are unedited and taken from my non-HD camera. The first is from the gopro strapped to my ankle facing the boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQiyroLzyyY

The second is mounted to the board facing my brother in-law the rider. Not that exciting and turn the volume down, the water noise is annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWIXtEB_n0g

The third is mounted to my snowboard facing me, kinda kool watching the horizon shift back and fourth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FSzS9u81AA

Dont have time at the moment to mess with vimeo but I'll try later.

ScottnAz
08-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Great videos Steve! My favorite was when your brother-in-law fell, and the camera was filming him swimming back to the board in the background. It was funny for some reason, the board floating there idle, and him swimming around 30' away. :)

and I appreciate the un-deserved compliment about my surfing :)
How arrogant am I that I thougt you were talking about me...??... :)

freeflyernc
08-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Ok- I got my GoPro on Friday. Here is the footage from our Saturday session. Still a little weak due to a sprained ankle, but it was such a great day to ride!

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS49mq0Dpv4

rludtke
08-22-2010, 11:29 PM
That is so cool!

Fman
08-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Ok- I got my GoPro on Friday. Here is the footage from our Saturday session. Still a little weak due to a sprained ankle, but it was such a great day to ride!

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS49mq0Dpv4

Nice video! are you recording in L4 or L3 mode? L3 mode I was told is the best because you get 60 FPS instead of 30 FPS in L4. L4 is what the camera will automatically default to. We are going out thursday and I am going to try L3 mode.

wakejmpr
08-24-2010, 11:17 PM
FMan got to say that is an amazing spot to ride and i'm really envious. we have a river near us and its no where near as nice. We got barges going through it. For a nominal 250 thats money well spent on that sweet cam. love the video. I did notice that your coming up just a bit short on your wake to wake jumps. If i may suggest either pulling the rope in another 5 feet or maybe bumping up the speed that will get you across and the landing on the other side is much smoother i promise.

Fman
08-25-2010, 12:04 AM
FMan got to say that is an amazing spot to ride and i'm really envious. we have a river near us and its no where near as nice. We got barges going through it. For a nominal 250 thats money well spent on that sweet cam. love the video. I did notice that your coming up just a bit short on your wake to wake jumps. If i may suggest either pulling the rope in another 5 feet or maybe bumping up the speed that will get you across and the landing on the other side is much smoother i promise.

Thanks for tips, we have some beautiful lakes within 1.5 hours, especially during the weekdays when traffic is very light. I am riding at 65' at 22.4 MPH, for some reason I cant clear the wake but only on occasion. I dont think I am squaring up to the wake properly to get a good pop, I could go to 60' but that seems real short. I notice many explode across the wake and I seem to be hitting it at an angle which does not give you the launch/pop needed to clear.

What do you think?

87SunSportMikeyD
08-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Fman I would also be happy to lend tips anytime. The trick is truly in the progressive edge technique. Neither a big cut nor lots of speed are necessary. The trick is to load the line by leaning back and digging your edge in. Even starting less than 10' outside the wake I can clear it.

When you edge out for your setup, pause 3seconds before cutting back in to let slack out of rope. Don't initiate your turn by turning your board. Lean back and set your edge with your weight a little more on your back foot. Try to arch your upper back and try to stick your chest out. This holds your stance in the proper position and really lets you lean away from the boat. Your board should still be at about a 45 degree angle to the path of the boat. No super-hard cut is needed (we'll add that back in later). Start out with a mellow cut and built as you get near the wake. But you have to have a good solid edge set throughout the cut.

When you hit the wake, pull the handle in and dont try to bounce or jump just straighten your legs and brace for the pop. Keep the handle in near your waist while you're in the air.

Fman
08-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Fman I would also be happy to lend tips anytime. The trick is truly in the progressive edge technique. Neither a big cut nor lots of speed are necessary. The trick is to load the line by leaning back and digging your edge in. Even starting less than 10' outside the wake I can clear it.

When you edge out for your setup, pause 3seconds before cutting back in to let slack out of rope. Don't initiate your turn by turning your board. Lean back and set your edge with your weight a little more on your back foot. Try to arch your upper back and try to stick your chest out. This holds your stance in the proper position and really lets you lean away from the boat. Your board should still be at about a 45 degree angle to the path of the boat. No super-hard cut is needed (we'll add that back in later). Start out with a mellow cut and built as you get near the wake. But you have to have a good solid edge set throughout the cut.

When you hit the wake, pull the handle in and dont try to bounce or jump just straighten your legs and brace for the pop. Keep the handle in near your waist while you're in the air.

Mikey,

Thanks for the tips... I am going out tomorrow, I have noticed some riders effortlessly clear the wake.... I tend to try and jump when hitting the wake, raising my legs up but my height is not there to clear the wake. I always have the fear of nose-diving the board and catching an edge.... and well you know, BAM! .... just getting to old for that to happen anymore. I will give it a go tomorrow and see what happens. I would think 22.4MPH @ 65' should do it for wake size and speed needed to clear the wake??? should I speed up or shorten line length?

wakejmpr
08-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Ok so at 65ft I would say 23.6/.8 should get you across no problem. Anything under 23 is probably to slow. I ride at 70ft and usually 24.6/.8 depends. I'll pull the rope in and slow it down to practice tricks and once I get the feel then drop back the 5 ft and speed it up. As far as approach goes before you start to pull in bring the rope to your hip and make sure the line is loaded. No slack otherwise you won't have the momentum to clear. Then take a nice progressive edge toward the wake and at the top make sure you stand up at it to get the pop you need. You don't need to squat and dig deep for momentum if you have the right boat speed. If you keep the rope tucked in and near your hip that will help keep your body centered over the board and avoid those nasty toe edge catching fly swats. 60 ft is a little short but at 22 that's where I feel you would need to be to go wake to wake. It really all comes down to comfort level too. If your not into the faster boat speed then try the rope length for a few pulls and get the feel for clearing everytime. Then when your wakejumps are more solid back it out 5 ft and speed up the boat. Let me know if this helps. Happy to give advice. Usually run clinics on Wednesdays.

Fman
08-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Ok so at 65ft I would say 23.6/.8 should get you across no problem. Anything under 23 is probably to slow. I ride at 70ft and usually 24.6/.8 depends. I'll pull the rope in and slow it down to practice tricks and once I get the feel then drop back the 5 ft and speed it up. As far as approach goes before you start to pull in bring the rope to your hip and make sure the line is loaded. No slack otherwise you won't have the momentum to clear. Then take a nice progressive edge toward the wake and at the top make sure you stand up at it to get the pop you need. You don't need to squat and dig deep for momentum if you have the right boat speed. If you keep the rope tucked in and near your hip that will help keep your body centered over the board and avoid those nasty toe edge catching fly swats. 60 ft is a little short but at 22 that's where I feel you would need to be to go wake to wake. It really all comes down to comfort level too. If your not into the faster boat speed then try the rope length for a few pulls and get the feel for clearing everytime. Then when your wakejumps are more solid back it out 5 ft and speed up the boat. Let me know if this helps. Happy to give advice. Usually run clinics on Wednesdays.

Thanks again for all the help, I went out today and same problem... very close, about within a foot of clearing the edge of the wake. I was at 65' @ 22.4, I will try 60' next time out and see what happens. I like how you mentioned keeping the rope close to your hip helps eliminate nose dives, because at my age they are hurting more and more....

My wake on the boat was absolutely perfect today, a more experienced ride who was with us said it was "incredible..." was running about 1500 lbs of weight... I really like my boat more and more, the wake on the Supra's I feel is awesome... lots of fun!!! hope to be out next week again sometime.

dickboxers
08-30-2010, 05:02 PM
i see why you like your boat. It looks nice

87SunSportMikeyD
08-31-2010, 12:42 PM
fman toe diggers happen if you dont keep the handle close to your waist, or if you dont arch you back and lean back as described above.

I would say you definitly dont want to try and 'jump' when you hit the wake. Just stand tall.

Fman
09-01-2010, 12:43 AM
fman toe diggers happen if you dont keep the handle close to your waist, or if you dont arch you back and lean back as described above.

I would say you definitly dont want to try and 'jump' when you hit the wake. Just stand tall.

I am going out tomorrow, I have a set point on the rope for 60 feet, hopefully I can clear the wake.... will definitely keep my back arched and lean back. Thanks again for the helpful information.