PDA

View Full Version : update

MMassassian
08-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Ok update..... Today when I tried to take the boat out it wouldn't start, volts read 10..tried for 15 mins and then all of a sudden out of nowhere it started up..ran sluggish for the 1st 20 mins and then ran perfect..when the water is smooth their no issues but as soon as it gets choppy the boat shuts off?

OUI
08-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Sounds like an electical problem to me. A short or a loose wire. When it shuts down do you have spark? Does the motor turn over? Gauges work? Radio, Lights, etc?

MMassassian
08-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Sounds like an electical problem to me. A short or a loose wire. When it shuts down do you have spark? Does the motor turn over? Gauges work? Radio, Lights, etc?

yes still have spark, and all gauges work..radio and everything

OUI
08-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Ok, then it might be a problem with the float in your carb. Before taking it apart, run some Seafoam through your system. One can can treat 20 gallons. I would use one can with 5 gallons. Dump it in your tank and go for a boat ride. If it quits, tap the side of the carb with a hammer. Tap the float area. Or, if it quits take the spark arrester off and pump the throttle to see if the accelerator pump is pumping gas into throttle body. If no gas comes out, it probably is a stuck/broken float.

MMassassian
08-15-2010, 12:28 PM
okay will do today when I get off..thank you Sir

rludtke
08-15-2010, 02:24 PM
When it quits, check for spark and fuel. I would pull a spark plug, and use the spark plug to examin if you have spark. Examine the plug to see if it is wet or dry. Disconnect the fuel supply line at the carb and see if fuel is present when cranking. Because of the choppy water element, I also suspect the carburator. When was the last time it was overhauled? You probably have loose debri in the float bowls that are getting stirred up, or the needle is getting stuck in the closed position, or perhaps debri in the fuel tank itself is blocking up the pick up tube.

A carb overhaul will allow you to replace the commonly worn parts such as the float needle and seat. These are especially sensitive to chemicals in the feul when left sitting for long periods, and also the effects of microscopic abrasive materials. If this boat has sat for any length of time, you probably must do an overhual on the carb to overcome these problems.

The overhaul is easy, and most parts kits come with directions. Holley offers lots of technical info in their technical library found here:http://www.holley.com/

MMassassian
08-15-2010, 02:57 PM
When it quits, check for spark and fuel. I would pull a spark plug, and use the spark plug to examin if you have spark. Examine the plug to see if it is wet or dry. Disconnect the fuel supply line at the carb and see if fuel is present when cranking. Because of the choppy water element, I also suspect the carburator. When was the last time it was overhauled? You probably have loose debri in the float bowls that are getting stirred up, or the needle is getting stuck in the closed position, or perhaps debri in the fuel tank itself is blocking up the pick up tube.

A carb overhaul will allow you to replace the commonly worn parts such as the float needle and seat. These are especially sensitive to chemicals in the feul when left sitting for long periods, and also the effects of microscopic abrasive materials. If this boat has sat for any length of time, you probably must do an overhual on the carb to overcome these problems.

The overhaul is easy, and most parts kits come with directions. Holley offers lots of technical info in their technical library found here:http://www.holley.com/

okay thank you..and yes it sat for 7 years..it is a 89 and only has 300 hours on it.

rludtke
08-16-2010, 12:52 AM
The original PCM carb is the Holley model 4160, the part # is 0-80364. Parts kits can be purchased from Skidim for about $65. I have found them on EBay store for about $25. You can also get them through your local NAPA auto parts store.

The overhaul parts kit is easy to install, and can be done on the engine (in the boat). The parts that get worked (the float chambers, and the, metering blocks) can be removed from the engine and taken in to a table or bench.

edgewater1
08-16-2010, 07:29 PM
i think it's electrical, there is a load on the battery along with a electrical short