PDA

View Full Version : What needed for 2nd battery?

The Squeaky Wheel
08-16-2010, 08:32 AM
First post :D

New owner of a Supra 21 Launch.

First job: adding amps, sub and tower speakers to the stock kenwood.

I have an additional deep cycle battery. What is the best method of wiring a second battery?

Is the Perko style selector preferred? I've read they can be a bit finicky.

How about something like this?

http://www.allbatterysalesandservice.com/browse.cfm/4,2706.html

OR

http://bluesea.com/products/7650

I'd rather have an "automated" switcher, if possible.

Thanks !

wotan2525
08-16-2010, 11:01 AM
I can offer a big endorsement for that blue sea system. I've got mine on 3 batteries, big alternator and all 0 or 00 gauge wire.... works great!!

The Squeaky Wheel
08-16-2010, 11:04 AM
I can offer a big endorsement for that blue sea system. I've got mine on 3 batteries, big alternator and all 0 or 00 gauge wire.... works great!!

Cool !

So with the blue sea, no fiddling with switches. Just leave it on and it will draw the power as needed? Sounds up my alley. Keep it simple, stupid :D

wotan2525
08-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Yes -- There is a master switch, though -- I turn this on before I go out and turn it off when I come back. I don't fiddle with the battery banks at all on the water. It charges all of them when the boat is running but otherwise keeps your two banks isolated.

BadbluSi
08-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Was just talking about this over the weekend! Wish there was a sticky for us that dont have the experience on what we need and more of a how to, so we can make sure we set up the audio and second battery correctly!! We all know that the stealerships charge an arm and a leg to do this stuff!!:p

The Squeaky Wheel
08-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Was just talking about this over the weekend! Wish there was a sticky for us that dont have the experience on what we need and more of a how to, so we can make sure we set up the audio and second battery correctly!! We all know that the stealerships charge an arm and a leg to do this stuff!!:p

Good idea - A sticky or FAQ would be great.

Stealerships...funny stuff - and TRUE !

wotan2525
08-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Yep -- Just make sure you pick up enough extra 0-gauge cable and battery terminals to wire everything together. It would be awesome if one of the companies came out with a complete kit that had everything but I guess everyones needs are different.

BadbluSi
08-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Anyone know of a good site that may give some guidance?

87SunSportMikeyD
08-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Hey guys I can offer an alternative to BlueSea that I feel is superior. The SurePower1314 is a complete battery manager that knows when to combine or separate batteries, it's a great unit for only $65. With a system as advanced as the SP, the perko switch is really unnecessary imho. I have posted the details several times on this forum, do a search and you should find everything. Google will show you details of the device's function. It is available through fellow forum member POLARBILL1999 who gives us the nice price! Please contact me if needed, this post is getting long winded!

rludtke
08-18-2010, 11:50 PM
First post :D

New owner of a Supra 21 Launch.

First job: adding amps, sub and tower speakers to the stock kenwood.

I have an additional deep cycle battery. What is the best method of wiring a second battery?

Is the Perko style selector preferred? I've read they can be a bit finicky.

How about something like this?

http://www.allbatterysalesandservice.com/browse.cfm/4,2706.html

OR

http://bluesea.com/products/7650

I'd rather have an "automated" switcher, if possible.

Thanks !

I just read the description of the Sure Power: 12V 100A Battery Separator - Bi-Directional w/ Aux Start This looks really cool. I am curious what it is about this unit that people don't like.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Rick I have not heard any complaints about the SP, have you?? The part is not carried through major marine dealers (ie westmarine). When I searched for 2nd battery info, I also only found the BlueSea. But once I stumbled onto a thread of Brett/Polarbills, it was an easy choice. I personally feel no need for a perko switch when my dash board has a master kill switch.

The Squeaky Wheel
08-19-2010, 02:13 PM
I personally feel no need for a perko switch when my dash board has a master kill switch.

This is the part that bothers me as well.

I purchased the blue sea but have not yet installed it.

The blue sea add-a-battery still requires that the switch be set to on/off each time the boat is used and I'd like to eliminate this feature.

I sent an email to the company asking if I could keep the switch "on" all the time, then run a relay to an empty accessory rocker switch on my dash, but was told no. I don't know if that's because it can't be done electronically or they are covering their butts in case of failure.

So, if I'm hearing you correctly, you are saying that the SP has all the benefits of the Blue Sea add-a-battery, but can be operated remotely from a dash relay?

The Squeaky Wheel
08-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Hey guys I can offer an alternative to BlueSea that I feel is superior. The SurePower1314 is a complete battery manager that knows when to combine or separate batteries, it's a great unit for only $65. With a system as advanced as the SP, the perko switch is really unnecessary imho. I have posted the details several times on this forum, do a search and you should find everything. Google will show you details of the device's function. It is available through fellow forum member POLARBILL1999 who gives us the nice price! Please contact me if needed, this post is getting long winded!

Wouldn't the 1315 be preferable, since we are talking about two batteries?

wotan2525
08-19-2010, 03:34 PM
This is the part that bothers me as well.

I purchased the blue sea but have not yet installed it.

The blue sea add-a-battery still requires that the switch be set to on/off each time the boat is used and I'd like to eliminate this feature.

I sent an email to the company asking if I could keep the switch "on" all the time, then run a relay to an empty accessory rocker switch on my dash, but was told no. I don't know if that's because it can't be done electronically or they are covering their butts in case of failure.

So, if I'm hearing you correctly, you are saying that the SP has all the benefits of the Blue Sea add-a-battery, but can be operated remotely from a dash relay?

If your system is setup without any external drainage or issues, it won't have any effect what-so-ever.

I turn mine off as an additional safe-guard. I don't think I have anything running in the boat when I get off the water, but this makes double-sure that I don't. It also protects all of my stereo equipment from any voltage spikes or otherwise badness from a rogue battery charger. The only two things I have hard-wired to the batteries (so they are not switched off by the master switch) are the auto-bilge and the head-unit constant power (to make sure all of the settings are saved.)

I wouldn't trust a relay as a master switch in my situation just because I have over 200amps going into the stereo amps, alone.

The Squeaky Wheel
08-19-2010, 03:47 PM
If your system is setup without any external drainage or issues, it won't have any effect what-so-ever.

I turn mine off as an additional safe-guard. I don't think I have anything running in the boat when I get off the water, but this makes double-sure that I don't. It also protects all of my stereo equipment from any voltage spikes or otherwise badness from a rogue battery charger. The only two things I have hard-wired to the batteries (so they are not switched off by the master switch) are the auto-bilge and the head-unit constant power (to make sure all of the settings are saved.)

I wouldn't trust a relay as a master switch in my situation just because I have over 200amps going into the stereo amps, alone.

Great info.
Same here on the battery drainage - just the autobilge for me (or however the boat comes stock).
Thanks !

87SunSportMikeyD
08-19-2010, 05:51 PM
The SurePower actually does a lot that the BlueSea does not. I dont want to type a big book, but basically it keeps your batteries seperated. If you blow your alt belt and first bad goes dead and the boat dies, then it would automatically bridge the batts for starting power. WHen your alt is charging, it will charge both batts, giving priority to the one that needs charging more.

With the SP, there is actually nothing for you to touch or adjust (no switches) it does everything automatically, all by its self.

rludtke
08-20-2010, 12:19 AM
My motor home has somthing smular to the Sure Power, only older. My motor home battery controller does not have the auto-engage switch feature that switches batteries when one falls below a threshhold, rather it has a big manual switch on the dash to will connect them togather. This way, if the chassis battery will not crank the enigne, the house battery can.

What I like about the Sure Power is that it does everything for you automatically. No additional switches to mess with. It sounds like it behaves just like my motor home controller, completely hands off.

The Squeaky Wheel
08-20-2010, 11:02 AM
The SurePower actually does a lot that the BlueSea does not. I dont want to type a big book, but basically it keeps your batteries seperated. If you blow your alt belt and first bad goes dead and the boat dies, then it would automatically bridge the batts for starting power. WHen your alt is charging, it will charge both batts, giving priority to the one that needs charging more.

With the SP, there is actually nothing for you to touch or adjust (no switches) it does everything automatically, all by its self.

you got my attention.

I sent a PM to polarbill but haven't heard back - if you have his ear, can you please ask him to buzz me

sybrmike
08-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Mine's still sitting on the shelf with all the other parts waiting for the reassembly phase - but if remember right from the manual, the 1315 also has a provision for an optional manual switch to connect the two batteries.

While it's supposed to connect the auxillary battery in case the primary batt voltage drops below a certain threshold (12v ?), you can connect a separate switch or tie the connection to the ignition key to manually connect the two during starting.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Here is his wakeworld profile, PM him there

http://www.wakeworld.com/polarbill/

Memmer99
08-20-2010, 07:58 PM
sybrmike,

You are correct. I have the 1315 and it does just that! It's a great little unit and for 65 bucks you can't even get a decent Perko switch for that price. I was thinking about getting a circuit breaker and putting it inline on the positive. Then just flip the switch when the boat is sitting. You can also get a digital volt meter that will tell you your volts all day long.