PDA

View Full Version : Weight Distribution

Mike
08-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Have a 89 Comp TS6M that I bought last August. It looks and runs great. Have found (how it sits in the water with nobody in it) that it is heavier on the drivers side. Is this common and if so does anybody know by how much it is heavier? I currently have around 100 - 120 pounds in the front storage space (against the left wall) to even it out.

Having read other posts I suspect it might be wet on that side of the boat but the floor is solid as are the engine mounts so no indication of rot. I don't see any easy way to see if water is on that side. Is there an easy way except cutting a hole in the floor (say under the drivers chair mount or under the back bench seat)? I've never taken out the rear drain plug (always use the one in front of the engine), would that get rid of water if there is any there? I believe 've read on other posts that water on the outside of the engine mount stringers doesn't flow to the bilge.

Another way I guess would be to weigh the boat or go by how low it sits in the water. It currently sits right at the start of the solid sidewall color and the back platform is just slightly above the waterline (i.e. not a few inches above the waterline like other manufactures - if you are on the platform you will get wet feet).

Anyway, any information any of you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Juice75
09-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Mike - I've got an 89 Comp, too. Everytime I take the boat out of the water, I remove both of the drain plugs. When you're driving with the boat on the trailer, any excess water will flow to the back of the boat and out of the rear plug. Try taking out both plugs next time, and see if that helps.

Nick H
10-08-2004, 05:23 PM
I have a 91 tsm and i have to say that it sits level in the water.
The drain plugs will only drain the bilge and any water there is A) clearly visible, and B) in the centre of the boat. If you have water in the foam in the voids below the floor there is no way to drain it out. These voids are totally sealed to stop water getting in, unfortunately after the passage of time leaks will develop and water will get in and then you cant get it out without removing the floor.