PDA

View Full Version : starter clicks, but wont turn over

fleetpaint
08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
I have a 05 24v that wont turn over, just clicks. The battery is new & fully charged. It would do this every once in a while, but now every time.
Cables are tight on batt....any help?

oward1202
08-17-2010, 03:32 PM
I would begin with checking the starter. Someone else on here may have another suggestion but that's where I would start. You can also try the old trick of tapping on the starter with a hammer and see if that frees it up. If so then you know that was your problem. The next step is to just replace it or have it rebuilt, as freeing it up that one time will not solve the problem but will let you know where the problem is.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

OUI
08-17-2010, 03:42 PM
It's either a flat spot on your starter, or a bad solinoide. To test the solinoide, jump the two connections on the solinoide with a wire, if it turns over it's a bad solinoide, if not, it's flat spot on the starter, and it needs to be rebuilt. The starter is easy to remove, two botls/nuts and it's off. Take it to a shop and have it tested. Either way it's a simple fix.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Your starter is likely bad. Make sure you get the correct replacement starter that is large enough. It is a common part to go out. Try not to let the bilge get super full of water or the starter will get wet and get wrecked.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Here is the new part# for upgraded starter thanks Dan

I wouldn't bother with trying to replace the starter with what was original. You should go to db electrical online and purchase the high torque starter they have on their for marine use. I bought mine last year and it was like I bought a brand new boat. I cant say enough about it...it is cheap and comes with a warranty. You maybe able to find some of my other posts on here about it. For the money you can beat it...and you will be very pleased with it. Mikey can vouch for DB electrical...I think he bought his alternator off of them. Here is the link to the part you need.
http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-2295-new-mercruiser-marine-omc-cw-starter-ford-engine-3205-marine-sfd0001.aspx

wotan2525
08-17-2010, 04:24 PM
It's either a flat spot on your starter, or a bad solinoide. To test the solinoide, jump the two connections on the solinoide with a wire, if it turns over it's a bad solinoide, if not, it's flat spot on the starter, and it needs to be rebuilt. The starter is easy to remove, two botls/nuts and it's off. Take it to a shop and have it tested. Either way it's a simple fix.

This is what I was going to recommend. When you have this problem next, jump the two connections on the solenoid with a rubber or plastic handled screw driver. That will quickly and easily tell you if it's the starter or the wiring.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5664896_jump-starter-solenoid.html

firstdogriver
08-17-2010, 04:44 PM
I was having the same problem on my 89 Conbrio, which got progressively worse until it wouldn't start at all. That clicking noise is the soleniod engaging but not making enough contact inturnally to send the current from the battery to the starter. I changed out the solenoid (sometimes called a relay switch) and it worked great all weekend.

P.S. I got my new solenoid from NAPA for less than 20 bucks. When I got it I asked if it was for marine applications and the guy looked at me like I had a waterski sticking out of my head. Regardless the old one and the new one looked identical so out with the old and in with the new. Like I said it worked great all weekend.

fleetpaint
08-17-2010, 08:59 PM
thanks all!..great forum!
I jumped the starter & the starter just spun but did not engage the engine.
looks like its time for a starter!

OUI
08-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Get it rebuilt. The Bendix Spring is bad.

fleetpaint
08-18-2010, 02:55 PM
replaced the starter!....starts great!...thanks all!