PDA

View Full Version : Starting Hesitation

Okie Boarder
08-17-2010, 04:37 PM
I searched around and saw a lot of starting issues, but nothing exactly like my question. Something I'm noticing is a hesitant start the first few cranks after the engine is warm. Sometimes I hear a noise kind of like a knock or ping. After the first few rotations the engine cranks a litlle faster and fires. I had mentioned this a while back, but never dug into it.

Thoughts? Things to check?

michael hunter
08-17-2010, 09:53 PM
We used to call it heart attack start. Check the battery and all connections to the starter and ground. Also make sure your cables are not internally corroded.

rludtke
08-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Michael is right,

Poor electrical connections are a likely culprit. The battery cables can look ok, and yet be corroded within the insulation. If the cables crackle when bent, they need to be replaced. If the copper strands appear black, or mildew green, they need to be replaced. It the connections are not shiny, they need to be cleaned.

If all of the cables seem good, or you have replaced them with no improvement, then the starter could be at fault. When the armeture bushings wear, the armature can get cocked out of alignment, creating more resitance to turning. Overhauling or replacing your starter may be needed.

I recomend you run down the cheaper stuff (battery cables) first.

Okie Boarder
08-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Michael,

Heart attack start is a good term. It does make your heart skip a beat at first because you think it isn't going to start.

Well, as far as cables go, they are all brand new. I lengthened them a bit when I relocated my battery, but they are both 2/0 so I wouldn't think they would be a problem. Also, I would think that if they were the culprit it would be consistent. Am I wrong?

What about the fact it seems like I hear a knock or ping the first couple cranks, is that coincidence?

OUI
08-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Check your timing.

rludtke
08-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Good suggestion. If your timing is to far advanced, you might be hearing pre-ignition.

wideopen
08-19-2010, 11:37 AM
I have an '88 comp that does the same thing, but doesn't knock or ping. I've replaced battery, cables and starter and still does it on a hot start. It is more than likely timing, but the motor never pings so I hate to give up timing for starting. I had thought about checking into a DB electrical high torque starter. Let me know what you find.

Okie Boarder
08-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks all. I'll check all that out.

Skylar18
08-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Okie,

Are you starting with a deep cycle battery? Even though your volts look good, sometimes it takes a bit to start with a deep cycle after a few uses. It starts but takes awhile compared to a starter battery.

Okie Boarder
08-19-2010, 04:26 PM
No, it's a marine starting battery.

fastab
08-21-2010, 11:49 AM
What boat do you have, timing can cause this if it is advanced, if you have points the timing is always changing as they wear. If it fires to soon before top dead center the engine firing can cause the engine to want to spin backwards while the starter is trying to spin it normal.

Okie Boarder
08-26-2010, 04:19 PM
89 Sunsport. I'll be sure to check out the timing. Haven't had a chance to mess with it yet.