PDA

View Full Version : 04 Launch fuel problem?

lakelife
08-17-2010, 11:57 PM
I have an 04 Launch lts that started having problems. It runs fine for about 10 minutes then starts missing once every couple minutes. It proceeds to increase until its happening constantly after another 20 minutes and we're praying we make it back to the dock. By missing I mean I mean engine momentarily cuts out. I figured I'd start by replacing the fuel filter. I'm an idiot when its comes to engines so I bought the filter and now I can't figure out where it's located on the boat. Anyone know where to look on an 04 direct drive. Any other ideas what the problem might be or should I just start with the filter.

Thanks in advance.

SupraTamu
08-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Lakelife,

I had the same issue but my fuel pump was making a loud noise. They replaced the fuel pump which was under warranty but also found that the fuel filter was clogged. They said that ethanol in the gas cause the fuel filter to get clogged and told me to add Stabil with each fill up which I started doing and it is running great. See my post about this dated 7-12-2010 title is Fuel pump issues 2008 24 Gravity Games Edition and read the post just go to search and type in SupraTamu post and it will pull up. Seems like ethanol is causing a lot of the problems.

lakelife
08-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Found and replaced the fuel filter. Quick question, my dealer said the filter was directional and to make sure the arrow was pointing towards the engine. When I pulled out the old one it had the arrow pointing towards the gas tank. Anyone know which direction is correct.

saltare inverts
08-20-2010, 10:02 PM
I had the exact same problem on my 04. It was a loose wire on the back of the ignition switch. Tightened it down and problem fixed.

fastab
08-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Found and replaced the fuel filter. Quick question, my dealer said the filter was directional and to make sure the arrow was pointing towards the engine. When I pulled out the old one it had the arrow pointing towards the gas tank. Anyone know which direction is correct.

Your dealer would be correct, the arrow should show you the direction of fuel flow, it may let flow thru in the other direction but it will not filter correctly and may restrict the flow depending on the filter. Filters with arrows are directional and always go in line with direction of fuel flow.