PDA

View Full Version : Roswell Board Racks Holds A Surf Board

jaywidhalm
08-19-2010, 04:32 PM
In my 08 22 Sunsport, I did not get the Z-5 cargo bimini, simply due to the added expense at time of purchase. Just went with the regular bimini from Sunbrella. Anyway, as most of you know, a surf board gets to be a real pain if you don't have a place to store it when on the water. The other day I decided to try it in the stock Roswell swivel board racks. To my surprise, it fit rather nicely. Works a little better if the board is upside down, due to the curvs of the rail and the rack lining up better. Anyway, I have the Ronix Cortez board. Just curious if anyone else has tried this, or if anyone sees any issues with using this. Maybe this board is a little thinner than others? It sure is more convenient now, and would be nice to not have to order one of the combo racks. Any thoughts??

Matt Laird
08-19-2010, 04:40 PM
I have a phase 5 that will fit, my Cortez & walker project are too wide for it, I bought a rack off eBay for $100 or so that mounts above the stock Roswell

Skylar18
08-19-2010, 04:44 PM
I have the Cortez as well and fits fine in the standard racks. Actually tried it out before I bought the board as I didn't want to buy a new rack. I did lengthen the bungee to fit more easily over the surfboard when it was in the rack.

wotan2525
08-19-2010, 04:52 PM
I know that the mastercraft racks fit surfboards, but they are extra wide and have this cool arm that comes down to hold the boards in rather than straps/bungies. Out of my 6 boards, I can get one of them into my standard rack. All of the others are too thick. The one that I can fit in there doesn't feel like it's supported that well and seems to wobble fore-to-aft a bit more than I'm comfortable with.

KG's Supra24
08-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I think if it fits you are good to go. I dont believe the Cortez is one of the fragile boards so shouldnt have any worries of it breaking.

I ended up buying monster racks and love them if you decide to go that route.

ssmith
08-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Roswell also makes the surf tines which are a direct swap out for the ones you have. They are shaped different and are wider. It maintains the look you have but are expensive. I just bought the monster cargo bimini and love it for my surf boards.

jaywidhalm
08-19-2010, 06:33 PM
I have the Cortez as well and fits fine in the standard racks. Actually tried it out before I bought the board as I didn't want to buy a new rack. I did lengthen the bungee to fit more easily over the surfboard when it was in the rack.

How did you lenthen the bungee? Total replacement or spliced it somehow??

jaywidhalm
08-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Matt, what brand is the rack you got off ebay?

Fman
08-19-2010, 06:50 PM

Jay, Bungee used is 1/4" shock cord, can be purchased at many different places. You will need new hog rings to clip the bungee back together. I am looking at some different options to use other than hog rings, found some nice plastic hooks by bain bridge I am going to pick up from West Marine tomorrow. It wil be super easy to replace the cord with these, and easy to remove it webbing if ever desired. Should clip right into the spline holes at the bottom of the rack. The rep at West Marine said it would be perfect for a wakerack/spline application.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_18510_-1?cid=chanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=18510

Skylar18
08-19-2010, 10:57 PM

Replaced it completely. Roswell sent me a longer bungee, then that one frayed right away and I bought a replacement from DIY.

Really easy to swap out. Only hard part was getting one of the bungees through the net. Took about 20 minutes and all my strength. Other 2 I replaced they slid right in, about a 5 minute job.

Got my hog rings at a farm supply store. Come in a 75 count box. I hope I don't go through that many bungees!

Travis, let me know how those plastic hooks work compared to the hog rings. Thanks

dickboxers
08-22-2010, 12:39 AM
i want to hear more on the hooks to