PDA

View Full Version : Found Supra - engine turns but won't start

duckseatfree
08-21-2010, 12:47 PM
So I found an '89 Supra Sunsport with everything I need....tower, speakers, great interior, solid floor and stringers, LED lights and at a great price :D

Only one thing he said is that the engine isnt seized and it will still turn over just not start.

I'm not very mechanically inclined but wanted to ask what it could possibly be and how serious? I'm thinking there could be a lot of different options...maybe carburetor, battery, manifold problems? But I'm really just guessing. Any hints as to what it could possibly be and how much I could expect for repairs/parts?

I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow and I'll try to post pics.

wotan2525
08-21-2010, 12:54 PM
It will turn over, it's probably not that serious. Probably.

Air, fuel, spark. Start with making sure that the carb is getting fuel and then making sure that the spark plugs are getting spark.... I don't think this one should be too tough.

duckseatfree
08-21-2010, 02:02 PM
That's great news!

wotan2525
08-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Also -- I'd be waaaay more concerned with the shape of the stringers. Good luck!

ScottnAz
08-21-2010, 09:27 PM
If it's a great deal, tell him you'll buy it if he gets it to start. Put the responsibility on the seller to get it running. I'd hate to see you take over someone else's problems just because it looks like a good deal.

Let us know how it goes.

edgewater1
08-22-2010, 10:18 AM
i would check, starter solinoid

duckseatfree
08-23-2010, 08:48 AM
So, I took a look at the boat and it wasn't as in good shape that the guy told me it was in. Found one long soft spot on the floor.

And....there was oil that spattered all over the motor and there was water in the oil...I'm not too sure, but i'm guessing this would be real bad?

Supra-in-steamboat
08-23-2010, 11:29 AM
From what you described about the oil everywhere... Could be as simple as gross negligence by leaving the oil cap off, a loose filter, oil pan leaking, engine oil seals leaking, or combination. The water in the oil is no bueno. It could be a sign of a serious engine issue- cracked engine block, heads, exhaust, or other combo.
I agree with ScottAz. Leave the responsibility of getting it running on the seller. This will rule out all of the above and probably some more. Good luck.