PDA

View Full Version : engine running rough again

ariggle
08-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Ok, so I took the boat out today again, was running fine actually great after installing the new electronic ignition. after about half an hour it started running rough. Would not really go past 3 grand and it would act like it was cleaning out and then bog down again. while taking it back to put it on the trailer it died when I kicked it to idle. I was at first thinkin ok the water in fuel issue is back. I siphoned some gas from the tank, no water, I pulled the rear float bowl bolts, no water? Not really sure what to think. I am thinking possibly bad batch of gas, maybe some dirt clogging jets. Any ideas let me know.

rludtke
08-22-2010, 01:17 AM
Have you cleaned out your float bowls since the water in the fuel event? I think it is possible that water may have been sitting in the bottom of the bowls, and may have shook up into the fuel to cause the poor running. Water may still be present in the bowls.

edgewater1
08-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Knock sensor

ariggle
08-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Never heard of a knock sensor causing that issue before, but at this point I amwilling to try anything, do you know the specific location of the sensor on a ford 351? I am pretty sure it is on the block, just not specific location.

edgewater1
08-22-2010, 04:33 PM
i cant say, but it screws with the electronic ignition and causes it to through it self in to a safe mode.

rludtke
08-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Have you checked your float level? I suspect it is set to low. Your carb may be ready for an overhaul (or the needle is stuck closed?). I bet increasing the float level will help.

ariggle
08-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Well think I have some things to check into, knock sensor and the float level, that kind of makes sense, I dunnno guess I'll try some new stuff this week and hit the river friday!

rludtke
08-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Well think I have some things to check into, knock sensor and the float level, that kind of makes sense, I dunnno guess I'll try some new stuff this week and hit the river friday!

The boats of our vintage don't have knock sensors.

Holley has a great technical library. Here is information on adjusting the floats: http://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/Adjusting%20Your%20Carburetor.pdf

Mani
08-23-2010, 02:25 AM
I'm with Rludtke. Check your fuel from the gas tank to the intake. If that doesn't check out, go back over the ignition.

The great thing about these old boats is that trouble shooting them isn't that hard. I can usually spot a problem in my boat motor in 10 to 15 minutes of trouble shooting because it's so straight forward. My 09 F150 on the other hand is so loaded full of electronics from the factory that a wizard with a crystal ball couldn't trouble shoot that thing. :D

wotan2525
08-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Is it possible that your distributor wasn't tightened down enough? Sounds like maybe your timing changed as the day went on due to the distributor rotating.

ariggle
08-23-2010, 08:13 PM
I dont see the timing changing on the motor just from running over time, it would either be in time or out of time. Followed everything to a t installing it. Ran great for a while. yeah going to trouble shoot from tank to carb, pretty sure it is somewhere in there. I'm really leaning towards a clogged jet at this point, Just for the fact I found no water in the float or tank. And t he gas was pretty cloudy not the clean clear look it should have. Guess we will see!