PDA

View Full Version : Moving To Pa

saltare inverts
08-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Just found out a few hours ago Im moving to or Near Landsdale PA. Anyone from around that area that can help. I am interested in good place to live and were to take my beloved Supra. I am in need of a family friendly area with a lake close by.

mapleleaf
08-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Just a little closer to us Canucks "eh"? Sounds great, good luck with the move, I'll be looking ya up for sure.....

chautauquasun
08-24-2010, 09:22 AM
i am on the western part of the state in Pittsburgh...looks like you will be near Philly. As you may know...it is like two different worlds between the eastern and western parts of the state. I am not sure what lakes are around you there...maybe some up near scranton or Wilkes Barre. If you come westward let me know...there are a lot of good lakes out this way....and further north into NY. Welcome to PA...so are you going to become an Eagles Fan or a Steelers Fan?

Dan

87SunSportMikeyD
08-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Care to share why the change? Best wishes

RanceOU
08-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Just moved from Allentown PA to TN and I must say PA was a blast. I lived there for 2 years and loved it. Never went to a lake there (just bought my boat in TN) so I can't help in that department but you will never run out of stuff to do there. If you play golf much you will be in heaven, I have never played public courses that were as nice as the ones I played in PA. Chances are you will be a Eagles fan before the season is over, lol.

saltare inverts
08-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Maple, how far away are you from there? Mikey, my wife got a promotion and the headquarters are there. So off we go. Chat, I dont watch any sports but extreme sports. So I guess I will stay abnormal. The only team I ever followed was KU basketball since I went to college there. It will be weird coming from a rural background.

mapleleaf
08-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Gidde up homie...Looks like only 5 hours....I'm gonna get to ride behind the '04!~!!!!!

Blackntan90
08-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Welcome to the neighborhood! I am about 3 1/2 hours southwest of Philly, in north-central Md. I have relatives in the Philly area, but they keep their boats on the eastern shore of Md. The best of the area has to be Raystown lake in central Pa, Great place for a getaway- really beutiful!

jasonba1
08-24-2010, 09:38 PM
the guy that bought my comp is from p.a. i will get in touch with him and see where hes located he is not on the forum very much

blackout00
08-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Hey guys! Jason I am here man...Haha...Lotta browsing not a ton of posting! I try too, but I am still learning a lot! Anyway, you are about 2.5 hours east of me. I am right on the MD PA line. I cruise Deep Creek Lake. You may want to check out Raystown Lake. Gets busy, but it is a big place around here. I will ask around for you too. Another area for you to check out would be Long Level on the Susquehanna River, and Port Deposit. Look far by map, but you can take major highways. Good luck with the move!

saltare inverts
08-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys for all the feedback. My wife asked if we were selling the boat because no place to ride there. I said let me check. Sounds like there is. Oh k I wouldnt sell the boat even if I had to drive two hours one way to a lake. I am sad that the weather will be cooler. I better get new seals for my drysuit. Does anyone recomend a pro shop by there?

Mattyman
09-14-2010, 04:18 PM
A little late to the thread but Raystown Lake is a great place. I'm from Western Pa and we usually go there every summer for a week of camping/boating. It is a lot less busy during the week than it is on the weekends. If you go, you need to jump off of the 30+ foot cliff. It's an experience.

cadunkle
09-17-2010, 01:16 PM
I live in NJ about 15-20 minutes from Philly. Actually used to work in Lansdale, seemed like a decent area. You'll be riding on the Delaware River most likely. Not really any large lakes in the area that I know of. Schuylkill river is an option but could be a not fun trailering there and riding spots are small sections of the river due to several dams.

Plenty of good spots on the Delaware river North of Philly. Bordentown area is nice up past Tullytown and also Rancocas Creek on the Jersey side is nice.

saltare inverts
09-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Are there numerous launch spots on the Delaware or should I look for specific areas? Thanks for the info so far.

cadunkle
09-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Quick look on Google Earth shows one in PA right across from the creek.

Look up this address.
9242 North Delaware Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19114

I've never used this ramp or any on the PA side, but it's an option close to the creek. The ramps on the PA side look nicer than the NJ ramps, at least from the water. Probably some more ramps farther north on the river where some folks ride.

schuylski
09-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Oh man you got options on the Schuylkill- none of them huge but perfect for skiing/wakeboarding. Closest to you is probably a spot called Port Indian, there's a ramp to put in at the top side right by the Betzwood bridge. It's not real deep, but deep enough. Just be careful - there is a channel to get you from the ramp down to where it opens up. We used to go down river until you hit the island- and you can go down the right fork/side... we didn't usually get very close to the railroad bridge though- the dam is fairly close.

Also there's another spot above the Black Rock dam- never been there but I've heard it's a decent spot and there are several who call it home.

And there's also Flat Rock in Gladwyne - about a mile and a half stretch of river that's usable. There's the dam on the bottom side and you can go upriver until you hit the island. Stay away from the left side up at the island. The rest is deep. Hope this helps-