PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Legacy?

Legace
09-02-2004, 04:21 PM
What happened to the Legacy line? When was it discontinued and when was it started? Any information in this line would be appreciated.

dndsam
09-03-2004, 10:12 PM
I believe the Legacy was introduced in 1998 and was discontinued in 2003. I have a 1999 and love it! I feel that it was a matter of supply and demand. The wake board boats are the hot ticket these days. Produce what sells. The new Comp LTS is the same principle boat as the Legacy only with a new hull. The Sunsport is very similar only a bit bigger.

Ed Obermeier
09-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Dndsam is correct, introduced in '98 and discontinued in either '02 or '03 (I think it was '02). I also have a Legacy, 2000 model purchased new and I love the boat. I haven't seen anything yet that interests me enough to want to trade it for a newer boat.

My opinion on why it was discontinued (for whatever it's worth...) - 1) Supra's concentration on pushing wakeboard boats vs. slalom boats (although the Legacy is a decent combo slalom/intermediate wakeboard/family boat). They didn't sell many of them and were pushing wakeboard boats any way so...; 2) the Comp had a slightly better slalom wake (although FWIW I'd put my Legacy up against an MC 197 wake-wise any day) so if you wanted a Supra for serious slalom the Comp was the better choice; 3) the spray issue - at 35 off it starts to be a problem, at 38 forget it, you'll get hammered. They've fixed that with the LTS which is the replacement for the Legacy; 4) this boat was not for everyone and as such was difficult to position in the market IMO.

What I mean by that is that it's a very good slalom course boat but not the best around. The Comp had a somewhat better wake and the Malibu's and Nautiques were slightly better though MUCH more expensive (bang-for-the-buck wise hands down the Comp/Legacy was the best value - one of the reasons I bought mine). Having said that I ski as well behind my Legacy as anything else out there. At 28 off and shorter it's right there with the best.

With the wake plate up and some weight (and an extended pylon) it's a decent intermediate-level wakeboard boat, although my son has progressed beyond the wake I can get out of it. For an inboard slalom-oriented boat I think hands down the Legacy is the best family boat to come along, which in combination with it's slalom and wakeboarding atributes made it the best family multi-sport combo available. I got the play pen bow and my wife and I can lounge comfortably in it. No other OB slalom boat I've ever seen has as much room in the bow or is as comfortable.

I think the Legacy is still the most underrated inboard around, evidenced by it's too low resale value. For someone wanting a real value on an excellent all-around family multi-sport inboard a used Legacy is damn hard to beat.