PDA

View Full Version : Testing a boat on land...suggestions?

duckseatfree
08-25-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm talking to a guy about a Supra Sunsport but he lives 1.5 hrs from the lake.

I'm going to test the boat out by hooking up a hose to it. I haven't tested a boat out like this...what should I do/look out for?

Supra-in-steamboat
08-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Make sure you get to start it cold. If I was selling you the boat, I would walk you thru th whole process. Check the fluids, hook up the hose, make you start it and watch it warm, and not let you rev the s**t out of it. (boat always in neutral an earth of course) While its warming, cruise around the interior- don't blast the stereo until your happy with the motor. I would also show you that all the guages are working, nav lights, horn, clock, tach, etc...
With that being said- always water test the boat prior to buying it, always. Good luck.

Sluggo
08-25-2010, 03:36 PM
If everything checks out on land, possibly offer a deposit of some kind and then you can take the boat and water test it. If all pans out, then pay in full. 90 minutes seems like a long way just to find a testing spot. Where are you located vs the boat?

tg0824SSVGG
08-25-2010, 03:47 PM
I would not buy a boat just based on the "connected to the hose" test. You can't test the engine/tranny under load - and it could work fine on the hose, and fail miserably in the water.

If a water test is absolutely out of hte question, are there any dealers/mechanics around
you could pay to assess the boat for you? I know that costs money - but a small investment in peice of mind could pay off big - especially if there is something you can't
find until it's too late by just putting it on a hose.

Is there really no water nearer than 90 minutes?

jaywidhalm
08-25-2010, 04:07 PM
In my opinion, just like everyone else is saying, 90 minutes to water test is well worth it...especially if it is a larger purchase price. What year and how much are they asking? I would always take it for a spin though. This way you can hear it under load, every little squeak or rattle when you hit a wake, etc.
Remember to not put it in gear on land. It needs the lake water to lubricate the shaft.

rludtke
08-26-2010, 01:11 AM
If the seller is legitamate, and you are a serious buyer, than I think the seller would support your need to drive the boat. If the seller balks at this, then I think they have something to hide. I wouldn't buy a boat I couldn't drive.

Go look at it,and run it, and if you are still interested, then make arangements to meet the seller at a lake at a later date. This gives you the oppertunity to think about what you saw objectively, and not in the heat of the moment.

duckseatfree
08-26-2010, 08:49 AM
I agree with you guys. I was willing to drive 6 hrs to test drive the boat, but he still says the lake is too far from him and he doesn't want to make a day out of it. So, its too schetch for me to consider if he won't let me take it out for half an hour

Supra-in-steamboat
08-26-2010, 10:41 AM
If he wanted to sell the boat, he'd spend more than a day. Rludtke is correct. If he doesn't want to put it in the water, he's most likely hiding something. I guess don't rule out the fact that he might be super lazy, or may have never sold anything in his life. The last three boats I've sold, I spent no less than 2-3 hours with the buyer and the boat. Seems only fair, afterall it's not like your asking the guy to help you move... Good luck.

wotan2525
08-26-2010, 11:07 AM
If I was selling the boat, I wouldn't waste my day with a tire-kicker that wanted to go to the lake unless he has already seen it and has put a deposit in my hand. I'd also consider writing a contract that indicates the deposit is non-refundable unless there are issues not disclosed prior to water testing.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Another thing you can do is have the boat Compression tested. This will provide data to show you that the motor would perform under load (ie wakeboarding at speed with weight). This can't be done with the boat on a hose only. Like Todd says this wont test the trans, but you are compression test is standard thing to test. Get the lake test!! Have him meet you at the lake and you drive it home if it passes the test.