PDA

View Full Version : car/SUV carrier for boards

WadsworthSunsport22V
08-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Does any one have a carrier (roof rack mount) for the wake boards? Thule makes a surf board carrier, but is it good for wake boards?

Fman
08-26-2010, 12:47 AM
Does any one have a carrier (roof rack mount) for the wake boards? Thule makes a surf board carrier, but is it good for wake boards?

Cant you just put them in the boat? just curious why someone would need one.

Supra-in-steamboat
08-26-2010, 10:27 AM
All rack companies make a box that will house your junk. Don't think they make components for wake stuff. Suppose you could use the double wide clamp type ski racks- but i'd be worried about my $600 wakeboard set up taking a fat rock at 75mph. I use Yakima wheel carriers wrapped in duct tape and pipe insulation to carry the boards in the back of a truck bed for day trips. Works good. Good luck.

KG's Supra24
08-26-2010, 10:34 AM

Perhaps there are too many. We have ran into that a couple times. I only like to put boards in the lockers and ive run out of room in there.

I was looking to get one of the "boxes" and putting boards in it. Not sure how it would fit.

jaywidhalm
08-26-2010, 07:35 PM
I usually put one board on the floor of the boat and keep the windshield closed. I trailer uncovered most of the time, and have never had an issue. I don't think there is much wind swirl at the bottom of the cockpit of the boat...even at 70 MPH.

Mani
08-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Don't know about you guy's boats, but my 86 sunsport gets trailered at up to 70 MPH twice a week to the lake and the boards stay on the floor since I don't have a tower. Never once had an issue with them flying up.

That'll all have to wait for a couple of weeks at bare minimum while I get this ignition stuff figured out. :D

KG's Supra24
08-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Ive never put them on the floor because the chance of them sliding and scratching the gelcoat on the front fiberglass part. Doubt it would hurry the carpet.

I agree with above though, I don't think the board flying out is a concern.

Memmer99
08-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Before I bought my boat I used to throw my wakeboard in my Thule snowboard rack. It fit 1 board perfect and locked which was a big plus. Now I just throw them in the boat and wedge life jackets between the boards and any exposed vinal.

dusty2221
08-27-2010, 02:46 PM
All 4 of our boards and my little girls trainer ski ride in the floor of our boat on the edge leaning forward on the boots.

WadsworthSunsport22V
08-27-2010, 05:43 PM

I do not trailer my boat with everywhere I go. Typically, I leave it at my marina, which is a 50 minute drive from my house. I do not want to leave my boards or gear in my boat when I am not there. Three boards and a tube fill out an SUV very fast.

Blackntan90
08-27-2010, 08:46 PM
I use a Thule roof rack mount for snowboards, I am sure a wakeboard would fit in it perfectly. I think I may have actually seen it done once. I know what you mean about filling up an SUV! I want an Extreme Outback compressor in my truck, so we can inflate toys at the ramp.(Not on the ramp , of course!)

WadsworthSunsport22V
08-28-2010, 12:28 AM
I tried that yesterday. It can fit one board barely, the rack cannot fit two side by side, or even two stacked on top of each other.

mapleleaf
08-28-2010, 10:40 PM
I know this isn't much help, but I saw 2 boards on the roof of an SUV this week, not sure what the bracket was, but it's gotta be doable.....I was on the highway or I would'a got a better look.....