PDA

View Full Version : Re-tapping threads on R/W pump?

Dencomp87
08-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Does anyone have any experience with re-tapping the threads on a PCM 351 raw water pump? I am a new owner of an 87 Comp, and discovered that 2 of the 3 bosses are stripped clean. Re-tapping with the 1/4" proved unsucessful, as there was just not enought material. I am thinking of re-tapping with a 7mm, but then would probably need to drill out the rotor side as well to accomodate the larger bolt.

Trying to avoid the cost of a new water pump, has anyone tried this before?

Jeremy
Denver

wotan2525
08-27-2010, 01:39 PM
You need to track down some helicoils and the right drill/tap to go with them. They're not exactly cheap but this willl rethread those stripped out holes and they'll work better than the original threads. It will certainly be cheaper than a new water pump and shouldn't be that difficult to do.

Here is a kit for the 1/4 size. You should be able to find this locally, though.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productdetails.aspx?sku=85664&source=GoogleBase

Blackntan90
08-27-2010, 09:15 PM
2nd on the Helicoils, those things work great and are easy to use!

rludtke
08-28-2010, 12:33 AM
3rds.

You can find helicoil kits at your local auto parts store and/or hardware store.

ngavchris
08-28-2010, 09:53 AM
I had the same problem about three years ago when I changed my impellar. I threaded mine to 5/16 and instaled the coil. No problems at all now. Make sure you use locktite and you won't have the issue next time.