PDA

View Full Version : Wake plate / Trim tab

jamiep
08-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Before you start flaming... I did search and I cannot find a problem similar to the one that I am having.

My trim tab / wake plate is not working. When the switch is pressed (in either direction) the voltmeter drops off the scale like it is "trying" to move, but it doesnt. For that reason, I do not believe that it is the ground or fuse.

Any ideas?

Fman
08-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Before you start flaming... I did search and I cannot find a problem similar to the one that I am having.

My trim tab / wake plate is not working. When the switch is pressed (in either direction) the voltmeter drops off the scale like it is "trying" to move, but it doesnt. For that reason, I do not believe that it is the ground or fuse.

Any ideas?

What year is your boat? and I am sure you have checked the fluid level in the reservoir. Are any of the pistons leaking? It could still be a faulty ground/loose wire, I would double check all the connections.

Sorry I cant be of more help, hopefully someone else will chime in.

jamiep
08-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Sorry... It is a 2002 Launch SK/SS

04Gravity
08-27-2010, 10:22 PM
If the volt gauge drops to 0 when you hit the switch that means you have an electrical issue. 90% of the time its a bad ground. check the resistance between an known good ground and the ground on the switch. It should be less than 5 ohms

jamiep
08-28-2010, 12:15 AM
I do not have a volt meter, but I did connect the pump directly to the battery (-) and it still had the same result. A little unsure about this one.

jamiep
08-28-2010, 10:50 AM
OK, so this morning, I removed the motor completely and directly wired it to a 12v source. It still would not turn. That is with no load on the motor at all (trim tab lines removed). I assume the motor is no good...?

04Gravity
08-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Well yea if you direct wired it to a battery and still got nothing, then the motor is bad. The problem is, you dont know what caused the motor to go bad. Wakeplate motors are pretty hefty. They normally dont just crap the bed for no reason. I would go to your local auto parts store and get a cheap analog volt meter and check the wiring. Theyre about $15. Much cheaper than buying a new motor and ending up with the same result in a couple weeks