PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light returns

WadsworthSunsport22V
08-29-2010, 01:13 PM
I have had a phantom check engine message since I purchased the boat. My shop has been great to work with, and tells me not to worry as long as the oil pressure and water temp are good. The computer typically does not show any faults. It is frustrating to see the message display.

It only happens under full throttle and it does not happen all the time. When it does, the engine goes to protection mode. However if I turn the engine off, and then back on, protection mode is gone, and the boat runs fine. The check engine message randomly appears throughout the day. The only way to get rid of the message is to have the shop clear the fault.

The boat is well maintained.

Has anyone had this issue (07 Idmar 340). I want to purchase the new Supra 24 in 2011 (maybe 2012), but I am getting leery of using an Indmar engine again. I am not sure anyone would purchase this boat from me if they saw the check engine message appear. I know I would not purchase it.

csleaver
09-19-2010, 10:30 AM
You may have a problem with the post cat temp sensors. some 07-08 Indmar 340 Assault/MCX/Monsoon engines with the ETX CAT exhaust and MEFI5B ECM use a sensor in the exhaust down pipe to check the cat temperature. If the element in the sensor gets wet (from exhaust cooling water) it will short out and send a code to the ECM. There is an ECM update available (specific to Supra, Moomba, M/C or Malibu) that your dealer can install with a laptop to disable the code from setting the check engine display. They should do it at no charge. In some cases, a resistor can be installed in the place of the sensor that will make the computer think that the sensor is working properly (If no one can perform the ECM update). Each ECM has a checksum code that will indicate if the update has been installed or not. If you need more info, let me know.

Engine Nut
09-19-2010, 01:39 PM
You may have a problem with the post cat temp sensors. some 07-08 Indmar 340 Assault/MCX/Monsoon engines with the ETX CAT exhaust and MEFI5B ECM use a sensor in the exhaust down pipe to check the cat temperature. If the element in the sensor gets wet (from exhaust cooling water) it will short out and send a code to the ECM. There is an ECM update available (specific to Supra, Moomba, M/C or Malibu) that your dealer can install with a laptop to disable the code from setting the check engine display. They should do it at no charge. In some cases, a resistor can be installed in the place of the sensor that will make the computer think that the sensor is working properly (If no one can perform the ECM update). Each ECM has a checksum code that will indicate if the update has been installed or not. If you need more info, let me know.

The 07 models do not have the Post Catalyst sensors. They were only in 2008 models. If the problem only occurrs at high RPM I suspect that there is either a misfire occurring and/or the distributor adjustment may be off. If the check engine light is coming on, there must be a code set in the ECM. We just need to find out what that code is and take the appropriate action.

Fman
09-19-2010, 06:39 PM
I have had a phantom check engine message since I purchased the boat. My shop has been great to work with, and tells me not to worry as long as the oil pressure and water temp are good. The computer typically does not show any faults. It is frustrating to see the message display.

It only happens under full throttle and it does not happen all the time. When it does, the engine goes to protection mode. However if I turn the engine off, and then back on, protection mode is gone, and the boat runs fine. The check engine message randomly appears throughout the day. The only way to get rid of the message is to have the shop clear the fault.

The boat is well maintained.

Has anyone had this issue (07 Idmar 340). I want to purchase the new Supra 24 in 2011 (maybe 2012), but I am getting leery of using an Indmar engine again. I am not sure anyone would purchase this boat from me if they saw the check engine message appear. I know I would not purchase it.

Try posting on wakeworld, there are a lot of engine guru's on that site. I would not hesitiate to buy another boat with an Indmar powerplant, I threw a code with 2 hours on it for an 02 sensor, and 236 hours later is has been flawless. Malibu and Mastercraft both use Indmar power plants, they are solid engines and both top of the line boat builders.

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks, boat is in the shop this week. I will call over tomorrow and see if they have found anything.

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-23-2010, 09:33 PM
The 07 models do not have the Post Catalyst sensors. They were only in 2008 models. If the problem only occurrs at high RPM I suspect that there is either a misfire occurring and/or the distributor adjustment may be off. If the check engine light is coming on, there must be a code set in the ECM. We just need to find out what that code is and take the appropriate action.

This is part of my engine's problem. All but one time, the time the check engine light is on, there is no code. My shop has witness this more than once. I would love someone from Idmar or Skiers Choice to take ownership of the problem and fix it. This has been going on for three years now.

I intend to purchase a 24 foot boat in the next 12-18 months, but I am fearful that no one will buy my boat with a check engine light.

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-28-2010, 12:10 AM

Apparently, the 07 Indmars have a problem with miss reading over over sampling the firing sequence. Indmar supplied new firmware to download to my ECM to fix this known problem. Hopefully it is fixed, but until I get a few hours without the light on, I will still have my doubts.

Also, if this is a known problem, why did it take three years to fix?

Fman
09-28-2010, 12:31 AM
I had software problems when I first purchased my boat as well, the check engine light came on with 2 hours on it from an 02 sensor. Then they (dealer 1) loaded the wrong software on the ECU and the PP Pro would not work. Took it back to them and they could not figure out what was wrong, finally took it to a different dealer that figured out what dealer 1 did wrong.

It sounds like your dealership was not up to speed on your problem, this does not surprise me... it could be Indmars fault for not updating the dealers on software updates???

Regardless, glad you are on the right track, hope it works out for you.

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-28-2010, 07:36 AM
I had software problems when I first purchased my boat as well, the check engine light came on with 2 hours on it from an 02 sensor. Then they (dealer 1) loaded the wrong software on the ECU and the PP Pro would not work. Took it back to them and they could not figure out what was wrong, finally took it to a different dealer that figured out what dealer 1 did wrong.

It sounds like your dealership was not up to speed on your problem, this does not surprise me... it could be Indmars fault for not updating the dealers on software updates???

Regardless, glad you are on the right track, hope it works out for you.

The dealer was in contact with Indmar. Last year Indmar had my shop change the Harmonic Balancer and a host of other items. I even spoke with Indmar as was told "we have never seen anything like this before"

03-25-2011, 02:00 PM
we are running an 07 launch that is having the same problem,
all of last year the check engine light would come on. Oil, temp, everything ran fine, didn't go in to limp/protection mode. took it to a shop and got the notice cleared several different times. tested it a few days ago for an hour and a half to make sure summerization was flawless, but while i was out on the lake the check engine light came on, but did not affect performance. took it to the dealer, had them clear the notice again, no codes actually there. now 2 days later, check engine notice is back up, and the boat is in limp mode. so frustrating...

pelzerni
05-22-2011, 08:21 PM
I've been having a similar issue on our 07 24ssv with the 340 ETX CAT, has just under 400 hours on it and has been babied with scheduled maintenance by dealer since day 1.

Last summer started getting the random check engine light, usually happens while under load (tubing, surfing, wakeboarding, etc.). Today the gauges just randomly started going all over the place and then check engine light came on while pulling tubes, we slowed down to idle and after a minute or so of idling lost power. Started it, engine died, managed to start again after a longer than normal period of cranking and then pulled the boat out immediately.

Like I said we had a similar issue last summer where out of nowhere the engine would shut down and check engine light would be on. Dealer hasn't been able to find a code and hasn't done anything other than reset the check engine light.

Gonna call the dealer tomorrow and take it in, would appreciate it if anyone has a proven solution to the problem or if it's still something of a mystery.

surf
08-17-2011, 05:36 PM
ftp://ftp2.indmar.us/Service%20Information/post%20cat%20sensors.pdf

ftp://ftp2.indmar.us/Service%20Information/470%20ohm%20resistor%20install.pdf