PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Slippage

Dencomp87
08-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Got my temperature issue solved, turns out it was just the water temp sender was bad.

During the last water test, however, a more troublesome problem appeared. The transmission does not engage at low rpm when shifting into forward. On revving to 2-3K rpm, however, the transmission will begin to engage, but with some serious slippage. Any ideas?

Jeremy

Dencomp87
08-29-2010, 04:33 PM
To add to the above: Reverse seems to work fine, it is only forward that slippage occurs.
Maybe of importance, the bushing on the tranny dipstick is coming apart. There are some chunks missing, so they are probably somewhere in the tranny or in the oil cooler. Could this be causing a problem with the clutch or maybe blocking the oil cooler?
Jeremy

beast 496
08-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Time for a pull and disassembly. If you run much longer rebuild will be required. Good thing is, the Velvet drive tranny is so basic and easy to rebuild. Al

wotan2525
08-30-2010, 10:47 AM
If the seal is gone, there is water getting into there. I'd try to replace the fluid first.... Mine has slipped before, replaced with new, clean fluid and problems went away.

Dencomp87
08-30-2010, 12:08 PM
You're right on Wotan, replaced the fluid, which solved my problem, but when water testing discovered a massive gasket leak that empties most of the transmission fluid within a few minutes.