PDA

View Full Version : New Carburetor

jeffreyk573
08-30-2010, 10:38 AM
I have replaced the carb on my '92 Saltare this last weekend. I haven't been able to put the boat in the water to see how she runs yet. Could anyone give me some advice on fine tuning this thing. Or will it be set ready to run from the factory. I bought it from SKIDIM, so I'm sure that it is correct for the application.

jet
08-31-2010, 09:27 AM
Usually they come preset by the factory, you might have to tweak it a bit but i wouldnt go far from there. Jet

jeffreyk573
08-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the input Jet. I tried to get her to start yesterday, but all I wound up doing was running down my battery. I realized a little to late that the bowls were totally empty, and there was no fuel at all in the carb. I'll try it again this evening with a freshly charged battery, and a little gas for priming.

jet
08-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Eng cover open, carb spray in left hand, spary-start and then spay every other second to keep eng running till gas fills the bowls and runs itself. that will keep you from running the batt down. You can hook your garden hose up to intake hose to cool the eng. It should start with factory settings, but remember it needs to be very warm or normal temp before you start to adjust. Jet

rludtke
08-31-2010, 10:32 PM
The engine driven pump shouldn't have any trouble filling the float chambers in several seconds of cranking. If not, loosen/disconect the output line from the pump to confirm no fuel pumping while cranking. Then check the pump inlet line for the presence of fuel (should gravity feed from tank). If not, determine where the fuel obstruction is.

Lots of great information for adjusting your carb can be found in Holley's technical library: http://holley.com/

Cheers,

jeffreyk573
09-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Well, after a couple of more tries at getting the boat to start, still no joy.Carb has fuel in it, jets are spraying nicely. I took a mechanic with me today to help, we "almost got it". He finally suggested we pull a plug. It was very wet. Could I have done this with all of the attempted starts? These are new Autolite plugs that I ordered from SKIDIM. Will I be wasting my time just replacing these with a new set?

mysledblows
09-05-2010, 10:02 PM
When I did a new carb on mine the idle screws were all teh way tight which allowed no fuel into the motor at that throtle setting. Had to open them up to get it to start/idle. Might be the problem.

jmpotter
09-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Start with...

The idle mixture screws, the little ones on each side of the front bowl, should start out at about 1.5 turns out from fully closed. You would then adjust them to reach the highest manifold vacuum...or till it runs best for you.

jeffreyk573
09-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I appreciate the tips on checking the position of the idle mixture screws. I will certainly check that out. I will add that to my list of things to check. I still can't get this boat to start.