PDA

View Full Version : gas tank access

Wick
08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
I have owned an 85 Sunsport for the last 10 years, but have just discovered this forum. Wish I knew it about a long time ago! When I try to fill my tank it keeps burping gas. I think the vent line is clogged, but I can't figure out how to access the tank under the ski storage. As you can tell I am not much of a mechanic, but trying! Thanks.

Okie Boarder
08-30-2010, 04:40 PM
You mean any amount of gas will spill back out on you or does it just do it when ful?

Wick
08-30-2010, 04:59 PM
The gas will spill back out regardless of how much is in tank. I can depress the handle of the gas pump fully for only 3-4 seconds before it come rushing back out. It will take the gas of it is put in very slowly.

wotan2525
08-30-2010, 05:00 PM
I've had the vent line become clogged with wax before.... I took an air compressor and blew it into the tank. Seemed to work just fine. Not sure how to get to the tank on your boat but it may be difficult if the ski locker is molded in instead of screwed in?

Wick
08-30-2010, 05:08 PM
I thought about that but I am a little worried about blowing debris into the tank. Surely there is a way to access the tank. I appreciate your response.

mapleleaf
08-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Is there not an access hatch in the bottom of the ski locker????? If not, behind your rear bench seat coming form the top of the tank will be both vent and supply lines attached with gear clamps, Locate the vent and blow it out as Wotan described only in the opposite direction......

brack
08-30-2010, 09:39 PM
you should be able to pull out the back seat and get to the tank from behind it......thats the way mine is anyway . pulled seat , unbolted the tank straps , disconnected the fill tube and vent line ....then slid it out

Wick
08-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks, was able to get to it although it took awile. The previous owner had replaced the back floor and "rebuilt" the bench supports. I think he was an Aggie. Also found the vent problem. The vent tube came from the top of the tank, down the back to the floor, then back up to the vent next to a rear cleat. This created a "U" in the tube, and gas had collected in the bottom of it which did not allow the air to pass through it. I appreciate your help.