PDA

View Full Version : 21V vs. 22SSV

big trim
08-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Just wondering which one is the best for boarding, surf & skate? Which year would be good to get for high 30's to low 40's? How much difference in price between the 2 with same options?

Diggs
08-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Good comparison and I have owned both.

21V - This boat came out in 2005 so you should not have any problem finding one of these in your price range. Great boat. Tons of storage and still versatile. Great wakeboarding wake and surf wake. Very easy to load tons of ballast and still keep it all hidden and plumbed. I love this boat.

22SSV had a hull change in 07. Might be more difficult to find an 07 or newer in the $30k's, but definitely in the low $40K and upper $30k mark. The hull previous to 07 was a bit lower and sleaker. Awesome boat and good cross over boat that you can surf and wake board behind with pro size wakes. The previous to 07 SSV did lack storage and had a bit lower freeboard, but you could still hide all the extra ballast and have it plummed. I think it was one of the nicest shaped and looking boats sitting on the water. As for the 07' and newer 22SSV they made the boat bigger and higher freeboard. They fixed the storage issue and there is plenty of it. You can run tons of ballast in it and keep it all hidden and plumbed again. Great surf and wakeboard wake. It is a bit more finnicky than the others, but once you dial it in, it is a solid boat.

I have had both, so let me know if you have any specific questions and I can help give you my opinion for what it is worth....

scotthons
08-31-2010, 12:59 PM
I can only speak about the 21V since I have never been in or riden behind the 22SSV. I love the 21V. We have the 2006 that came with the 650 lbs bags in the rear and 1100 in the front. It throws an awesome wakeboard wake. I ride at 70ft and 24.5 mph according to the good old PP and the wake is clean, but I will move people around in the boat. I did have to upgrade to the "wakeboard" prop because of the amount of weight and elevation we are at.

We don't really surf and have only tried it a couple of times and it did not seem anywhere near the level of some of the other guys on this forum. I guess I would have to add more weight to make it better.

I am sure you could easily find one in your price range. Good luck with your search!

Fman
08-31-2010, 02:44 PM
I have an '08 22, love the wake, 340 HP Indmar, wakeboard prop, 100" beam width, I have the walk thru bow, which I like for seating comfort for passengers, but the playpen is much better for adding weight. I can only get the 400 lb bag in the locker, I believe the playpen has the 650 lb bag. The walk thru does have a temporary cushion to create a playpen seating arrangement which is nice when desired.

With the 750 rears, running about 1500 lbs of weight, the wakeboard weight is solid and great. The boat is weight sensitive at at times I will have to move passengers around to balance it out. I know this holds true for the X-15 MC as well. My 22 seems to always need more port side rear weight.

Overall, great boat so far after 225 hours, couple little items I had to take care of. Give it a 9 out of 10.

big trim
08-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Yea I was wondering about the Sunsport. As far as I know the only difference is the walk thru & less ballast room. Are they cheaper than the Launches & if so how much? Whats the price difference between the 21v & 22ssv? Is the world package worth the extra $$$ or is there another package that gives you a great bang for your buck?

big trim
08-31-2010, 05:22 PM
Not to throw a curve ball but lets say you have $35K to $40K to spend. What do you go with including Moomba's in the picture with the 21v & 22ssv? Im guessing on this but I think its right: 08 or 09 Moomba LSV, 2007 mybe 08 21V or a 06 maybe 07 22ssv???

Fman
08-31-2010, 05:49 PM
Yea I was wondering about the Sunsport. As far as I know the only difference is the walk thru & less ballast room. Are they cheaper than the Launches & if so how much? Whats the price difference between the 21v & 22ssv? Is the world package worth the extra $$$ or is there another package that gives you a great bang for your buck?

My Sunsport came with every option the SSV came with, other than the front playpen. In 2010 you can now order 22 SSV with the walk-thru option if desired along with the step down cooler. I also have the step down cooler as well, which holds a lot of drinks and food. Drains into the bilge area, really like having it for long days on the water. I actually have SSV decals on my boat because I was not a big fan of the sunsport decals.

Price wise I am sure they are very close, depending on what options you select on either. My '08 was spec'd as a 22 SSV with the walk-thru and step down cooler (Z-5, heaters, etc...)

tg0824SSVGG
08-31-2010, 06:29 PM
As for Moomba versus Supra? Not 100% sure, but I think the hulls are identical, what
you get from one versus the other is a higher level of "finish" -- such as a true Perfect Pass instead of a Speed Control.

What you prefer is up to you, but at least a few years ago, the hull between the 2
lines were indentical in a given size. This is probably worth validating ...

Fman
08-31-2010, 07:26 PM
As for Moomba versus Supra? Not 100% sure, but I think the hulls are identical, what
you get from one versus the other is a higher level of "finish" -- such as a true Perfect Pass instead of a Speed Control.

What you prefer is up to you, but at least a few years ago, the hull between the 2
lines were indentical in a given size. This is probably worth validating ...

Actually the hulls are different, at least in the newer years ('07+???)the Supra will give you a 100-102" beam width (22/24 model), and deeper V-keel according to the website. Not sure if this makes a huge difference in wake size, but will definitely give you more interior room. The widest Moomba is 98" (I think its the XLV).

tg0824SSVGG
08-31-2010, 07:49 PM
OK - thanks for setting me straight sir. (Perhaps I am thinking the hull is the same between the 22Sunsport and 22 SSV???) -- dang, getting old SUX.

:o)

Fman
09-01-2010, 12:41 AM
OK - thanks for setting me straight sir. (Perhaps I am thinking the hull is the same between the 22Sunsport and 22 SSV???) -- dang, getting old SUX.

:o)

Oh.... No, no, no.......sir? that just sounds like I am really old!

big trim
09-01-2010, 12:38 PM
What was the 1st year for the sunsport 21v & the 22ssv?

dusty2221
09-01-2010, 02:06 PM
2005 for both.

Diggs
09-01-2010, 06:01 PM
The sunsport 21V did not come out until 09' or 2010'. I believe 2010. The Sunsport 22V came out in 2007. The New Hull 22SSV and Sunsport 22V came out in 07. They made the 22SSV for years earlier and maybe in a sunsport, but it was a different hull.

Fman
09-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Not to throw a curve ball but lets say you have $35K to $40K to spend. What do you go with including Moomba's in the picture with the 21v & 22ssv? Im guessing on this but I think its right: 08 or 09 Moomba LSV, 2007 mybe 08 21V or a 06 maybe 07 22ssv???

Drive them both and then decide, they are both nice boats... you will get more features on the Supra, which for me would be the dealbreaker. Unfortunately, when someone mentions "Moomba" it scares people away for some reason. There earlier boats fell apart and were not made that well, this is probably the reason. I think your resale opportunity would also be much better with the Supra. The Supra name is accepted much more as a "higher end" wakeboard boat.

I love the heater, perfect pass, swivel racks, rad-a-cage tower, Z-5, upgraded upholstry, swivel drivers chair, 4 wheel disc brake trailer, wake plate, and a few other upgrades as well.