PDA

View Full Version : What type of ATF?

Fman
08-31-2010, 07:19 PM
What should I be using for my ATF in my '08 22v? Will DEXRON-III do the job? I used this at my spring change this year, but its getting hard to find in the stores. What other options are there? The HURTH ZF manual says "Just use ATF", the Supra manual says to use "DEXRON-III Mercon ONLY".

Any help appreciated! Thanks...

tre
08-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Look at the transmission but I think there is a sticker on it that says Dextron III/Mercon (verify this becasue I may be thinking of my old Supra).

docdrs
08-31-2010, 10:42 PM
i believe you can also use the dexron vi, it is back compatible with dexron III and is suppose to be superior and i s what is recommended in all gm tranny's using dex III

Fman
09-01-2010, 12:52 AM
And yes, there is a sticker on the trans. that specifically says "DEXRON-III MERCON ONLY", guess I should hunt around for some and use what they are asking for.

jaywidhalm
09-01-2010, 11:14 AM
I was just looking at doing this for my boat too Travis. Walmart has the stuff over here, however it is Supertech brand...not sure if it would really matter though. It meets all the specs and requirements.

Fman
09-01-2010, 04:22 PM
I was just looking at doing this for my boat too Travis. Walmart has the stuff over here, however it is Supertech brand...not sure if it would really matter though. It meets all the specs and requirements.

Jay, I serviced it at 20 hours and 147 hours, both times I used DEXRON-III MERCON ATF by Castrol. Unfortunately cant seem to locate it anymore. I sent an email to Hurth to see what they recommend, I will let you know what I come up with. I am sure if it meets all standards and you service it often it wont make a difference. The manual says every 300 hours or annualy, which is what I have been doing.

wotan2525
09-01-2010, 04:59 PM
The newer Dexron vi is backwards compatible... it meets and exceeds all Dexron III specs and can be used in place of.

ngavchris
09-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Changed my fluids this past spring and used Dexron VI. Worked great this past summer.