PDA

View Full Version : Full Ballast - Can't get on plane - HELP!

Gilligan
09-02-2010, 10:46 PM
It seems I've lost some power. I have a 2007 24SSV with the 340 engine. It's never seemed to be overly powerful, but it's got the job done. I have less than 60 hours on the boat.

Well the past two weekends when my boat is fully loaded (750# rear with 1100#? front), it won't ever get up to plane. I have to let some water out and even still it takes a long time and I have to move people up front. Just embarrassing.

I just got the upgraded bags last year, and I'm now riding with more people in the boat, but this doesn't seem normal. The boat starts, idles, and sounds perfectly normal.

Also, I'm not sure if this is normal or not, the owners manual states that max RPM is about 5200 or 5600 something like that, but I have never been able to get the engine past 4500 RPM. Is this normal?

Any suggestions would be appreciated or comments as to whether this is normal or not.

docdrs
09-02-2010, 11:02 PM
what prop do you have on the boat???? my 340 cat will push 5300 pm with the 14.25 x 14.5 or so

KG's Supra24
09-02-2010, 11:33 PM
I have run my 24 with that same setup a couple times and had no issues with getting on plane. I have the 14.25 x 14 prop. I'm thinking you have some sorry of miss. Mine will run over 5000 rpm, although I don't do it much.

Was the plate all the way to the right? It might help.

I don't run that much wright that often because I don't need our but when I have I've always felt it needs a little more view weight bc it feels like it kind of porpoises. still, it gets on plane.

Sorry, no help on what the miss might be.

Aaron187
09-03-2010, 11:37 AM
when i have my boat really loaded, i start the boat with the wake plate down then inch it up. That allows the boat plane out more. Also make sure you move people up front, that will help also.

jaywidhalm
09-03-2010, 11:45 AM
With that engine, even with that weight, you should still be able to get on plane. There is something else going on here more than a wakeplate setting or people placement. May have to take to a dealer to see if there is an error code occuring.

Gilligan
09-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I had the plate all the way down, and the front of the boat was loaded with as many people as could fit. Sounds like I do have a problem.

One more thing, when it was trying to get on plane, the engine wouldn't get past 3200 RPM so it's not operating at it's peak power.

I would think with 340 HP that the engine and prop should be able to achieve any RPM desired despite MPH. Is this a correct assumption??

wotan2525
09-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Sounds like your engine is in limp mode -- a dealer should be able to run a scan and figure out what's going wrong. When was the last time you did a tune-up? Plugs, etc?

Gilligan
09-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Sounds like your engine is in limp mode -- a dealer should be able to run a scan and figure out what's going wrong. When was the last time you did a tune-up? Plugs, etc?

Don't think it's limp mode, I dump 1/2 the ballast and I can get up on plane. Limp mode wouldn't let me get up to speed.

I'm going to change the fuel filter and add an enzyme based ethanol treatment.

jzelt
09-03-2010, 01:22 PM
How about fuel pressure? Change fuel filter? (If it decreases like that slowly over time, I would guess something isn't right for a mix, but may not be off enough to just not work).
Do you have the Throttle body or MPI?
If throttle body, I would have someone drive and see how much fuel the jets are squirting. That should tell you if you are getting gas or not.

Pull a few spark plugs. How do they look (black?, brown?).

chrisk
09-03-2010, 01:33 PM
I vote wrong prop. If you say you upgraded your ballast, you may have needed to upgrade your prop. If you can't hit the boat's maximum RPM's without weight in the boat and the engine and everything sounds and feels fine - then you're being restricted by the pitch of your prop. Ask around and see if you can borrow a prop for a day from someone and see if it fixes the problem. If you can find one, that's a whole lot cheaper than having a mechanic charge you for not fixing it or for fixing something that isn't broken.

Fman
09-03-2010, 02:50 PM
It seems I've lost some power. I have a 2007 24SSV with the 340 engine. It's never seemed to be overly powerful, but it's got the job done. I have less than 60 hours on the boat.

Well the past two weekends when my boat is fully loaded (750# rear with 1100#? front), it won't ever get up to plane. I have to let some water out and even still it takes a long time and I have to move people up front. Just embarrassing.

I just got the upgraded bags last year, and I'm now riding with more people in the boat, but this doesn't seem normal. The boat starts, idles, and sounds perfectly normal.

Also, I'm not sure if this is normal or not, the owners manual states that max RPM is about 5200 or 5600 something like that, but I have never been able to get the engine past 4500 RPM. Is this normal?

Any suggestions would be appreciated or comments as to whether this is normal or not.

You should be able to push over 5,000 RPMs with the wakeboard prop. It sounds to me like you DONT have the wakeboard prop as others have mentioned. Look on the prop and it will be stamped on there should be 14.25 x 14. If you have a 17 or 19 you will get more top end with less RPM's.

How fast will the boat go with full throttle and no ballast? If you are over 41-42MPH then I woould bet you have the wrong prop on it. That 340 should pop people right out of the water.

If you have the 14.25x14 on it then I would take it to the dealer, there is something else causing a problem.

Just my .02.....good luck

Patrick56
09-03-2010, 03:47 PM
My vote is engine temp error code.

If you read in some of the manuals the engine is limited to 3000rpm if temp is below about 103, limited to 4000rpm if temp tis 104-139 and full rpm above 140. with that much weight you might not get on plane without the rpms.

Gilligan
09-03-2010, 10:36 PM
I checked the prop. 13.7 x 17.5 This seems different from what most of you indicated. What's up with this prop??? Good, bad?

Also, tried it again, it was a little choppy but I could not get RPM over 4500. Max MPH has always been limited to 40-41 MPH. But is this MPH limited by the prop or my limited RPM???? Should I still be able to achieve a higher RPM (any adjustments available).

I called my local mechanic and he indicated that a lot of people on the lake have been experiencing problems with the ethenol in the gas. So he recommended changing the fuel filter and adding ethenol treatment additive.

Fman
09-03-2010, 11:19 PM
I checked the prop. 13.7 x 17.5 This seems different from what most of you indicated. What's up with this prop??? Good, bad?

Also, tried it again, it was a little choppy but I could not get RPM over 4500. Max MPH has always been limited to 40-41 MPH. But is this MPH limited by the prop or my limited RPM???? Should I still be able to achieve a higher RPM (any adjustments available).

I called my local mechanic and he indicated that a lot of people on the lake have been experiencing problems with the ethenol in the gas. So he recommended changing the fuel filter and adding ethenol treatment additive.

That prop is not a good prop for your boat, you need the 14.25x14 wakeboard prop. This will definitely help get your boat on plain much quicker. I am surprised the dealer ordered that prop for your boat. If you purchased the boat new I would even call them to make sure they did not make a mistake, double check your invoice/options. Seems like all newer Supras were ordered with the wakeboard prop.

Sta-bil marine treatment is a good choice, its good to have in your fuel before winterization. I usually start adding it in September at every fill up, then it will be mixed through your entire fuel system when you winterize.

docdrs
09-04-2010, 01:41 PM
fman is right......you are over propped.......that prop is loading your engine up too much and it cant rev up enough

jasonwm
09-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Did you purchase the boat used? That prop is from a Mastercraft v-drive with the 8.1L engine option. There's no way your 350 will generate enough torque to spin it.

Redline on your engine is around 5200RPM, and that's what you should be getting with the correct prop on the boat at close to sea level. If you only use the boat for wakesurfing and or wakeboarding you could go with an oversize prop (what many people refer to as a "wakeboard prop" or "power prop" which will enhance the low speed performance and acceleration of the boat, but will sacrifice some top end (the boat will do around 40MPH at redline). That's typically plenty fast for how people use their v-drive wakeboard boats.

Depending on the history of the boat, I would touch base with your dealer. If you bought it used there probably nothing you can do but just replace the prop. If you bought it new someone screwed up somewhere along the way, so there may be something they can do for you.

If you need help making sure you get the correct prop for your application just let me know.

tre
09-06-2010, 08:49 PM
As others said, that is for sure not the correct prop. The boat comes standard with the OJ 14.25 x 14 CNC "wakeboard" prop (at least mine did in 2009).

Edit: On further investigation, It looks like the prop you have was standard for that year and the 14.25 x 14 CNC wakeboard prop was an upgrade. I think you need to buy the upgrade now.

Gilligan
09-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. So what is THE prop to get?? Should I go with the factory wakeboard option prop or a different one??? Not interested in top speed just wakeboarding and crusing around. Where's the best place to buy the new prop?

Also, I still think I've got something wrong with the boat, as mentioned I can't get over 4500 RPM, this has to be a problem.

Thanks again.

jasonwm
09-07-2010, 04:59 PM
You could go with the factory OJ prop, or a comparable ACME (I would recommend the 1433), either one will give you essentially the same performance, which is going to be drastically improved acceleration and low speed handling over what you have on the boat now.

What elevation do you boat at? Has the boat always been limited to 4500 RPM?

Gilligan
09-07-2010, 05:53 PM
You could go with the factory OJ prop, or a comparable ACME (I would recommend the 1433), either one will give you essentially the same performance, which is going to be drastically improved acceleration and low speed handling over what you have on the boat now.

What elevation do you boat at? Has the boat always been limited to 4500 RPM?

Yes the boat has always been limited to 4500 RPM. I'm only 715 feet above sea level (Finger Lakes, NY).

Is there a part number for the factory OJ prop?

87SunSportMikeyD
09-07-2010, 06:13 PM
What are your primary boating activities? If all you do is wake or surf with ballast, go with a power prop. If you dont use much ballast, or if you still do barefoot or deepwater slalom starts, stick with the stock prop.

Personally I would call JT at nettleprops.com and they can recommend you the proper pitch prop.

Jason is on the ball today!

jasonwm
09-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Yes the boat has always been limited to 4500 RPM. I'm only 715 feet above sea level (Finger Lakes, NY).

Could mostly be the prop, so first thing I would do is upgrade that because you're going to get a huge performance boost with that regardless. If you're still not able to reach max RPM at WOT then you need to take the boat to the dealer to figure out what is wrong.

Is there a part number for the factory OJ prop?
The prop that comes from the factory on newer boats is a 475, which would be a good application for you.

What are your primary boating activities? If all you do is wake or surf with ballast, go with a power prop. If you dont use much ballast, or if you still do barefoot or deepwater slalom starts, stick with the stock prop.

I agree with most of this except the deepwater slalom starts part. A "power prop" (I dislike that term because it's so generic, but it's popular) is ideal for pulling up a slalom skier, as long as you don't sacrifice too much top end. It's really only for barefooting and higher speed cruising that a low-speed oriented prop will suffer.

Personally I would call JT at nettleprops.com and they can recommend you the proper pitch prop.
JT can definitely get you setup with what you need. We can too, carry ACME and OJ, and have without a doubt the most experience propping weighted boats (as we sell both the ballast and the props), if you're so inclined to give us a try. ;)

Jason is on the ball today!
Just trying to keep up with you Mikey! :razz:

87SunSportMikeyD
09-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Haha I didn't know you guys carried props!! Sorry about that one.

I agree with most of this except the deepwater slalom starts part. A "power prop" (I dislike that term because it's so generic, but it's popular) is ideal for pulling up a slalom skier, as long as you don't sacrifice too much top end. It's really only for barefooting and higher speed cruising that a low-speed oriented prop will suffer.

Sorry I guess I was a bit off there. Top speed, indeed. As you can see I have not done much skiing lately personally! :)

Always glad you are here helping out Jason!!!

jasonwm
09-08-2010, 11:52 AM
No problem, JT has a great reputation for a reason, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him.

Our crew has actually rediscovered skiing this year, and we've been having a lot of fun seeing who can get hurt the most.

tre
09-08-2010, 12:57 PM
I had no idea you guys carried props either.

According to this: http://www.ojprops.com/resources/applicationguide.pdf
The OJ 466 is the wakeboard prop Supra uses but this may likely be old data (Jason mentioned the 475)

Edit:

The OJ 475 is a 14.25 X 14.5 LC 1 1/8" 4-BLADE .090 CUP (that sounds like what my boat came with)

jasonwm
09-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Yeah, we're taking it slow as we build up our inventory, so we're not marketing it much right now. We've got some cool things we're doing that are new for the industry though, so by the time next spring rolls around we should be ready to roll.

jasonwm
09-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Just an update to let everyone know that OJ props will be up shortly, and they have a lot of great applications for Skier's Choice boats, so keep that in mind if you're thinking about upgrading soon.

Diggs
09-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Gilligan,
Another thing to check out and the reason this may have gotten worse over the year is making sure you burp your front bag. Do you burp it? This will cause the same issue or make your current problem worse. They tend to fill with air each time you pull your boat on the trailer and then you fill the bag and it looks and feels full, but once you burp it (remove cap on tom of bag to let extra air out) you will see that you might only be 1/2 full or even 1/4 full. If you are already doing this, maybe it will be a good lesson for others to start doing it.

I would get a new prop from jason and then make sure you are burping the bags (front especially). I had wakemakers put a check valve in my line so I don't take on extra air when towing. It is pretty easy as well if you wanted to do that.