PDA

View Full Version : 92 Mariah ignition problem

92SupraMariah
09-03-2010, 11:59 PM
I have been having an issue with my boat. It starts fine and runs great until you accelerate to about 2200 rpm. As soon as it gets to this rpm the engine starts to sputter and miss. It will run forever at 2100 and sounds fine. Bump the throttle to 2200 and it starts to shake like it has a miss. I have replaced the plugs, wires, and had the carb rebuilt. It sounds like an ignition issue when it happens. Are there any sensors that could cause this or do I need to replace the Protec ignition with the kit from skidim.com? Any suggestions?

michael hunter
09-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Distributor cap and rotor?

92SupraMariah
09-04-2010, 08:40 AM
This boat has a Protec ignition setup which uses coil packs instead of a standard distributor.

jeffreyk573
09-04-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm not sure what engine you have, but I have a '92 Saltare with a 454 and the Pro-Tec ignition system. Your going into limp mode. This is a feature of the Pro-Tec system. If all of your gauges are reading in a normal mode, it's probably a switch thats gone out. You have three that are the main culprits.
My engine is doing the exact same thing, although mine @2000 rpm. I called Vince at Skidim, and he walked me through how to troubleshoot the system. If there is anyone out there who knows more than him about that system, I don't know who it would be. Its probably a simpler fix than you think. Those switches aren't very expensive either. Good Luck.

edgewater1
09-04-2010, 09:04 PM
heres how to fix, i have had the same problem,http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK107025A

92SupraMariah
09-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Well it turns out the boat is going into limp mode. I worked my way through the sensors and found the knock sensor to be bad. I've ordered a replacement and connected the sensor wire to a 12v constant temporarily so the boat will run right. Fortunately this was a much cheeper fix than the kit from skidim.com.

PoPz
09-07-2010, 11:22 PM
heres how to fix, i have had the same problem,http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK107025A

That looks like the same kit i have, but my question is why is there a ignition (ballast) resister if it's electronic ignition system?

here's pics of my motor, just had to replace that ignition resister

dustinstieha
10-02-2010, 04:09 PM
my 351 ford stripped the timing gear this summer. easy fix, timed it and ran good. having more issues now, pickup module i think. so here's my easy fix i got from some local ford engine racers. get a HEI gm distributor. have machine shope cut ford dist. and chev dist in half, machine shaft. install roll pin and drop in. add a counter clockwise rotation motor pickup coil like in a pontiac and hook up 12v power wire, tach wire and plug wires. sounds fool proof to me. excited to get it done this winter and run it next year. just thought i would put this idea out here for you guys. Not sure if there is anything funny i would run into being this is a marine set up and not their race car. any thoughts would be good and all in all way less expensive then a mallory ignition conversion!

OUI
10-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Try the Prestolite conversion.

OUI
10-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Try the Prestolite conversion.