PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Supra Sunsport

DAFF
09-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Have found a Sunsport and not sure of the colour. Seems to be a seafoam green with a white bottom. Anyone one else have one in this colour combo. The teak seems to be in great shape and the floor and interior is also solid.

With the end of the boating season around the coner this might be just the ticket.

DAFF
09-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Here are some pics... Does the interior look original???? Seems like somone took care of the old boat!!! Even the covers look good.:D

In time it might need some stringer work in time but it might have some potential.

conbrio
09-05-2010, 02:48 AM
That color combo doesnt look bad, looks like a sweet boat. How much they asking for it?

dshaff24
09-05-2010, 06:23 AM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1329/6245701/12150833/390765875.jpg

Thats definitly light blue... Same as mine but the picture quality sucks I believe

DAFF
09-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Here is the complete listing of the boat with some better photos....

http://www.boatdealers.ca/usedboats/powerboats/skiandwakeboard/supra/sunsport/31070/supra-sunsport-used-boat-for-sale.aspx

My thoughts are to keep an eye on the boat through out the winter as the boating season (selling) is more less over here in the north. With some patience and perfect timing I might get a even a better deal. Seller has dropped the price 2k over the last month ..... If it sells before then, it wasn't ment to be mine......

Okie Boarder
09-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Looks like it is in pretty decent shape.

WakeSurfCanada
09-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Here is the complete listing of the boat with some better photos....

http://www.boatdealers.ca/usedboats/powerboats/skiandwakeboard/supra/sunsport/31070/supra-sunsport-used-boat-for-sale.aspx

My thoughts are to keep an eye on the boat through out the winter as the boating season (selling) is more less over here in the north. With some patience and perfect timing I might get a even a better deal. Seller has dropped the price 2k over the last month ..... If it sells before then, it wasn't ment to be mine......

Saw this boat on kijiji when I was looking ford mine, I believe he is looking for somewhere between 7-8k for the boat. Looks sweet, but that is defiantly a little pricey if it needs stringer work!

I picked up my 85 for 3k, in need of some TLC.

Cheers,

87SunSportMikeyD
09-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Looks like a great boat. I would say it is worth the asking price, however, you're going to be putting in a lot of engine updates as well as whatever other wake/surf mods you may have in mind. Hours on the engine?

DAFF
09-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Has about 450 hrs on the clock. From ad to ad the price changes. Starting at 8900- down to 6900. Trust me at this time of the season I will only offer what is fair for an older boat with a decent interior which will need stringers.

With the chill in the air this makes it a buyers market..... Thinking of starting about $4800.00. :)

WakeSurfCanada
09-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Agreed!

Hey Daff,
Were you able to sell that PCM 351 you had up on kijiji?

As a whole longblock + tranny?

Let me know if you still have anything left from that boat, as I may be in the market for some pieces for my Sunsport.

Goo luck with the purchase!

DAFF
09-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Put off the parting out of the boat for now. Wanted to sell the drive line before anything else. Lots of action on everything but no takkers on the driveline. I am going to look through out the winter for perhaps a couple of boats and see what happens this spring.

I think part of the problem is having too many good times in the old boat to cut her up!!!! NTM it is in better condition than many on CL...
DAFF

87SunSportMikeyD
09-10-2010, 10:12 AM
You're talking about two different boats right? You're not parting out that nice SUnSport....... :p

DAFF
12-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Well here we are in the begining of winter. My Comps interior is almost 95% done now. The gel coat has been sanded and polished twice and is coming back to life nicely. Will finish the boat and perhaps put her on the market in the spring.

This Sunsport is still for sale. The marina where it was at has done some work to her. Painted the trailer and polished the sides. Late in the season I popped in to have a quick peak at it. The interior is a solid but the stringers seem to be seeping the black brown typicial rot of this era boat. All in all I love the boat and have been looking both sides of the boarder for another deal. So far dollar for dollar this seems to be a very solid deal.

All I need now is a rediculus amount of white gold so I can go down and get her. For anyone who is confused about the white gold i am referring to snow. In the winter months I pack in the tanker truck and push snow for a living. Still thinking about lowballing them in the dead of winter... Who knows I might just get it for the $5000.00 I was planning on.

87SunSportMikeyD
12-06-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm looking at the pics on that 87 SunSport again... Even $5k would be a downright steal from the looks of the vinyl and teak in those pics... It looks completely flawless and it SHINES! I would JUMP all over that one!!

stinky_1
12-09-2010, 10:10 PM
My father in law picked up his 85 sunsport for $2500 US. The interior was totally removed (seats and such), and they had installed 3 hard plastic fishing seats in their place. He had to drive and pick it up. All in all I think he is into his boat for $3300 now. He has bought marine vinyl and is building his own interior now. Once he adds all those costs with him doing all the work he will be into the boat for $4000 - $4500.

What is the point of my story???? if you can get that boat for $5000 it is a STEAL! Even if you pay up to $6500 the price is not terrible. I would go and see if they are desperate for some christmas money. If you came in with $4500 as a starting offer you could go from there. I would say that is reasonable.

Overall the boat "looks" to be in good shape. I would rather have a boat that is cosmetically good. I can fix any mechanical problems it may have. If I buy a good mechanical boat that looks like crap I dont have the eye or tallent to fix the messed up interior. Maybe you do though

87SunSportMikeyD
12-10-2010, 12:33 PM
I had to check the ad again... that is a FLAWLESS sparkling ORIGINAL interior. It is a really good sign that the floor and stringers may be in very good shape. The NADA value of this boat in AVERAGE condition is $5000. Snatch it up before Maple does!! Maple!! Get this boat if he doesnt rofl!

DAFF
01-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Well my plan seems to be working out. Going to make a road trip in the following weeks to iron out a deal. This time of the season the boat people are getting very hungry. In fact a long time marine shop just went under in the region. I am saddened by the loss of a great place locally to get parts but it is a good news bad news story....

Cash plus winter means a great deal IMO this time of year. Nothing will prevent me from playing hard ball, walking away from a deal can really work in your favour sometimes. Leave you contact numbers and bottom line price and see what happens....

Saved almost $15000 on our 5th wheel trailer two winters ago. This was a real learning experience for me. If nothing else instant gratification might quench your thirst but will always will cost much more in the long run.

stinky_1
01-16-2011, 09:40 PM
let us know how it goes. With the prices some other members managed to snag some sunsports in the US I would expect you can get this under $5000 pretty easy.

docdrs
01-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Well my plan seems to be working out. Going to make a road trip in the following weeks to iron out a deal. This time of the season the boat people are getting very hungry. In fact a long time marine shop just went under in the region. I am saddened by the loss of a great place locally to get parts but it is a good news bad news story....

Cash plus winter means a great deal IMO this time of year. Nothing will prevent me from playing hard ball, walking away from a deal can really work in your favour sometimes. Leave you contact numbers and bottom line price and see what happens....

Saved almost $15000 on our 5th wheel trailer two winters ago. This was a real learning experience for me. If nothing else instant gratification might quench your thirst but will always will cost much more in the long run.

Maybe you need somebody close by to go in and take a swim with the shark......... :) to see if he bites

DAFF
01-17-2011, 03:26 PM
The last time I was there he was telling me they had over $9000.00 in the boat..... I know the game the dealers use. They will never pay more than 50% of what the boat is worth. Plus they normally make enough on the trade so money is made on both parts of the transaction. This way no intrest payments. This boat has been there for some time. In fact mid to late summer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated Docdrs, remember the stringers are more than likely shot plus the floor is soft....

DAFF
02-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Well here we are in early Feb. Have the cash in hand and ready to deal.....

SOLD !!!!

Only one problem.
Not to me. :(
Hope the new owner got a good deal and chimes in soon!!!

edobrien
02-15-2011, 05:35 PM
i love the retro looking light blue. i remember 1987 fondly... lots of time spent in lake havasu!

vvfdfirefighter
02-20-2011, 03:26 PM
i love the retro looking light blue. i remember 1987 fondly... lots of time spent in lake havasu!

The light blue looks good...Unless its like my 87 Marauder. White accents on the top and light blue for the whole hull. It doesn't look bad, I just wish it was a white hull with light blue accents.

Nautiboy
02-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Well here we are in early Feb. Have the cash in hand and ready to deal.....

SOLD !!!!

Only one problem.
Not to me. :(
Hope the new owner got a good deal and chimes in soon!!!

Sorry! I believe I (unknowingly) sniped this boat...
The family and I are super amped to get this thing wet but first it is receiving a little "upgrading". I will post pictures as soon as they are available and update all at that time on where we are at. Not the best way to introduce myself, but came across this post I thought I would end the suspense. This is my first Supra but not my first vintage competition boat, we just outgrew our 1980 Ski Nautique (which will be going up for sale in the spring).

DAFF
02-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Glad it went to a good home!!! I have owned a Supra for most of my life and was looking to upgrade for the kids. I hope you stole it!!! Even if you paid full price you did very good. I was a little worried about the stringers for they seemed to weep moisture through the cracks near the engine mounts. All in all it was a good solid boat with loads of potential.

Where in Ontario are you from???

Nautiboy
02-27-2011, 12:18 AM
I have been heavily into Waterskiing for most of my life, and unfortunately must admit some of that was before Wakeboarding existed! Picked up Wakeboarding and Wakeskating a couple of years ago now and have really gotten into it. My two boys and two nephews are getting into it now and the old Nauti was just getting too small. If a good home for the Supra is a home where it spends as much time as possible running on the water, it has found it!

Well I know the dealer and although I didn't steal it I think we made out very well. At this point it has been inspected thoroughly for rot and all seems good. I did have a couple of concern spots that are being taken care of but all in all I am very happy with it! It's "potential" is currently being explored... stay tuned.:cool:

I am in Cambridge, we splash at a small inland lake named Belwood Lake just north of here. How about you?

DAFF
02-28-2011, 12:35 AM
From the tropics of Ontario, Essex county... Here in the southern tip of Canada we are surrounded by many of the great lakes. Most only a few hours away. Most of my time was spend on the Detroit river on the mouth of lake Erie. This region has fantastic boating but the chop on the summer day is not very nice for the Comp series.

Sad to say this summer will be the first time the boat has seen water since 98... New interior and floor and various other parts. Kids are pumped to get behind the boat. They love being towed behind the skidoo on a sled... This summer will be a blast.

dshaff24
02-28-2011, 12:29 PM
yeah nauti.. make sure you post pics of your upgrades.. I think this is the first time theres another boat with my color combo.. congrats on the purchase

Nautiboy
02-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks Dshaff, wasn't sure I liked the colour combo until I saw it! Light blue on light tan? Bone? Not sure what to call it. Unusual but loved it in person. Just unique enough. Should look killer when I am done tweaking...

Nautiboy
02-28-2011, 07:35 PM
From the tropics of Ontario, Essex county... Here in the southern tip of Canada we are surrounded by many of the great lakes. Most only a few hours away. Most of my time was spend on the Detroit river on the mouth of lake Erie. This region has fantastic boating but the chop on the summer day is not very nice for the Comp series.

Sad to say this summer will be the first time the boat has seen water since 98... New interior and floor and various other parts. Kids are pumped to get behind the boat. They love being towed behind the skidoo on a sled... This summer will be a blast.

Yeah, I have a couple of old Kawasaki X2 Jetski's that have been camping in the garage about that long as well! My boys (9 and 6) love getting behind the boat and take to it well. The 6 year old is stoked to try the wakeboard this summer, he has only been on skis so far. Both of them of course think they are champion tubers though!

It is always nice to near the finish of a project when you can actually use it. I am a bit of a "toy-aholic" and way too many of them are projects!

mapleleaf
02-28-2011, 08:43 PM
they're ALL projects, new or old.........

Nautiboy
02-28-2011, 10:03 PM
they're ALL projects, new or old.........

No doubt, fortunately most of mine fall in the old catagory (I like the classics)... unfortunatey far too many of them also fall in the "too far apart to use" catagory as well! Can't stress about it or it will strip the fun! My garage looks like a bomb went off in it but at least it is always fun to have a game of "guess what this is" out there.