PDA

View Full Version : Need input on oldschool sunsports.. We tried a few things and it didn't work out

dshaff24
09-06-2010, 10:23 PM
OKay so This weekend I filled up my 600 lb fat sac and layed across the back left side and it actaully was worse.. we also had my 220lb buddy back there in front of the sac! Now when the boat had nothing a week before other then my brother and his friend just sit back there it was awesome for my first time...
The sac worked great for wakeboarding but I was a little thrown off while trying to surf it.. becuase it was just a huge wide wall coming from the ski platform.. No curl.. Which was amazing to me since the boat was leaning way over I wish we had pictures

michael hunter
09-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Mikey do you want to take this one?

87SunSportMikeyD
09-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Happy to try.. :) Not sure why it would be worse, although if you had people leaning over the side they may have had more leverage by leaning thus making them weigh more....

Generally list or making the boat lean makes a nice curl. Rear weight affects overall size. Weight in the rear makes a steep wave; weight up front makes a longer pocket.

Make sure you are going 10-11mph. I would say 600 is not really enough. We dont get a good surfable wave until we have above 1200lbs weight. If that is part water and part people, that works too.

If you weight the rear (ski locker, under rear bench seat) along with the 600sac alongside the motor you should be good. It certainly helps to add someone sitting in the rear surfside seat. Even the driver should stand and shuffle their weight over to the surfside if possible.

dshaff24
09-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Yeah We just had 600 pound sac laying across the back.. We had it over to the passenger side of the boat and then we had a cooler and my 230lb buddy sitting back there also along with another 200+ pound guy sitting in the front of the boat and a 180 lb driver with me on the board!

I noticed at 11 mph on the gps it seems way to slow and the wake/wave was just a brick wall coming off the back of the swim deck! it didn't have no curl what so ever no matter how many people was hanging off to the side! To be honest we didn't get any kind of surf wave till we hit 16mph.. which was to fast!

This saturday coming up we are going to try things again! That 600 lb sac is tough to move!!!

Same people again.. 230lb 210lb 180lb driver and a 600 lb sac.. then theres me 170lb but ill be the one trying to get this surfing thing down

from the weight above where should I place these people! other then the driver!!

Should the supra try to plain off or should it just be pointing up plowing the water?

87SunSportMikeyD
09-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Okay you SHOUJLD be able to work with that. First I would say no one in the bow at all. In fact everyone MUST sit on the surf side and in the back if possible. One person can sit on the passenger seat next to the driver.

You can mess with the position of the sac. Personally I think a listing boat is needed but you also need the rear weight to make the wave big enough.

When you are driving, have them accellerate to 12-13 and then slow down to 10.5. The wave usually takes 20-30 seconds to form after you get started. The boat is definitly plowing water and now on plane.

duckseatfree
09-09-2010, 05:21 PM
I agree with Mikey...you need more weight in the back.

The 600lbs will work great on the side for the lean...but you need more weight on the back

you should look for Mikey's thread on how he weight it down...good read...works great