PDA

View Full Version : Starter?

DintyMo
09-07-2010, 12:49 PM
It appears to me that my starter is broken.

After having some excess water in the bilge, the engine fire up, but idled high. That's not uncommon. The usual fix is turn the engine off, wait, and fire it up again. However, this time, nothing. I thought maybe the starter was wet, and let it sit. Hours later, nothing. A day later, nothing.

Battery appears fine.

When you turn the ignition, you hear the fuel injection start up. However, when you turn to start, all that's heard is a single "Click."

I have someone checking it out today, but anyone had this? Starter, right? What should it cost me to replace?

Other suggestions?

87SunSportMikeyD
09-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Starter, happens to us all. They are pretty sensitive to getting wet, sadly. Last one I got rebuilt from NAPA worked to start my engine, but my mechanic told me it was all wrong. You may want to get a new one from SkiDIM.com. Call them if needed to get the correct model. Another good option is db-electrical.com. Also GREAT phone service.

DintyMo
09-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Yup. Starter. $350 for parts, labor and house-call later and it runs fine.

87SunSportMikeyD
09-10-2010, 10:44 AM
holy crap why didnt you put it in yourself for $100??? Or find a private boat mechanic, as the dealers will make you pay out the nose!!!!

That's like paying 350 to winterize. Shudder!

OUI
09-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Just have it rebuilt for $80.00

jasonba1
09-12-2010, 11:14 PM
i really like db electrical

DAFF
09-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Could be the starter soleniod, only about $15.00 for one of those. But more than likely it's the starter.

DintyMo
09-13-2010, 02:36 PM
I am completely mechanically inept. Putting it in myself was a non-starter (no pun intended). I'm not even sure I could have told you which part WAS the starter - nevermind replace it.

The part was ~$150. 1 hour labor was ~$100, and he charged me $80 for on-site visit. I have to take it somewhere other than my dock to take it out of the water, so an on-site was required.

He was a private mechanic - not a deal. Came from an Indmar website recommendation.

87SunSportMikeyD
09-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Well what's done is done, but starter is literally two bolts and connect two wires. We could have guided you through the process, even giving pics and phone call to help it needed. Bro we want to help ya out where possible! :)

Unfortunately I would say the part and labor were a bit high prices although less than true dealer rates.

Best wishes. How about a pic to liven up the thread, ehh? ;)