PDA

View Full Version : Stereo advice...

Ptownkid
09-07-2010, 03:37 PM
So I grabbed this http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&partNumber=9471640

for $150 Cad at future shop, but the only reviews I can find on the speakers are few and far between.

Anyone used them?

Ptownkid
09-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Well...found a little info and a few people said they had these speakers last a season in boats that were covered and cared for...

So I'm thinking that maybe I'll take this back and spend $150-$200 on a marine deck and use MTX speakers throughout.

Any opinions?

WakeSurfCanada
09-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Go Alpine! (little bit of shameless self promotion there, as I work for them)

But I installed a full system in my parents runabout (Four Winns Horizion) 4 years ago, and aside from taking the face plate on and off I have had no issues whatsoever.

I put 2 Pair's - SPR-M700's (7" Coaxial Marine Speakers), IDA-X100M (Ipod + Sirius Sat Radio) 1 - SWR-M100 (10" Sub) , 1- PDX-1.600M ( 1 x600W RMS Amp), 1 - PDX-4.100M. (4 x 100W RMS Amp)

Looking to do something similar in my 85 Sunsport, but based on the current location of the speakers I may have to go with our SPS-M600 (6.5" Speakers) as there does not seem to be enough mounting depth to do much else, but that will all be after my stringers get done over the winter.

This system sounds great, even cruising at 25+ mph.

My personal opinion on purchasing any audio/electronic equipment for the marine environment. Is that you get what you pay for. If you find something that is a smoking deal. It is likely because it is an inferior product. I have had/seen/replaced many marine systems in boats, and it all comes down to simply that.

I'm sure that many people on this forum can agree, purchase quality products and you wont find yourself having to replace the products you have already once purchased.

Cheers,

Ptownkid
09-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Looks like some nice stuff....can you hook me up at a more affordable price though?