PDA

View Full Version : failed back roll

dickboxers
09-08-2010, 12:37 PM
My failed first attempt at a backroll. the second and third attempt in got more inverted, but lost air. In the end they were all bad. can't wait to try again.

http://vimeo.com/14787598

87SunSportMikeyD
09-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Are you using ballast? Try to make the driver aware of the need to have the ballast balanced from side to side. Add weight (100lbs or one person or so) to the washy side untill there is no washy side. What is your speed? How is your wakeplate set?

Approach the wake just like a wake to wake jump. Back straight, chest out, leaning back away from the boat, handle in somewhat tight to your hips (!!). Hold that right through the wake while you spin upside down. Then pin your chin to your lead shoulder to spot the landing.

dickboxers
09-08-2010, 08:23 PM
i been wanting to ask ya'll about my wake plate. it is fixed. it can't go up or down so it is just flat

87SunSportMikeyD
09-08-2010, 09:09 PM
No turnbuckles to adjust it? Weird! Flat is pretty good all-around imho.

dickboxers
09-08-2010, 09:20 PM
it has the turnbuckles but the plate is solid. if it move up or down it would bend

wakejmpr
09-08-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure what to suggest about your wakeplate problem I can however suggest that you follow this link and try what this instructional video has to offer. It's actually a really easy way to learn the backroll. If you do reach step I would be willing to bet you nail it within two or three sets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNhCwKLf48&feature=youtube_gdata_player

sybrmike
09-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Tough luck on the backroll - ain't learning new watersports fun? Follow the advice of the experts and keep at it - it'll come.

The standard wakeplate on old Supra's are commonly referred to as fixed - a solid plate (no hinge) with two turnbuckles. These are indeed adjustable by turning the turnbuckles in the desired direction causing the wakeplate to flex. It doesn't take much movement to make a difference. The plates with hydraulic/electric actuators (hinge or no hinge) are often called adjustable. Both styles are adjustable, just some are manual (turnbuckles) and some are remote (actuators).

dickboxers
09-09-2010, 12:11 PM
so if i went a 1/4" down with the wake plate would i see a better wake. or are we talking about more. last time i looked at it i was thinking of going down but i didn't want to put to much pressure on the screws that old it on.

87SunSportMikeyD
09-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Putting the wakeplate down actually causes the rear of the boat to ride higher in the water. The wake gets smaller and the bow rides lower, giving a smoother ride. Raising the plate UP a little bit past horizontal gives you as much displacement as possible.

Once you start to drive a heavily weighted boat, putting the plate down a little bit helps handing and the shape of the wake for the better.

sallyliao
05-25-2011, 02:39 AM
Tough luck on the backroll - ain't learning new watersports fun? Follow the advice of the experts and keep at it - it'll come.