PDA

View Full Version : Quick patch job?

duckseatfree
09-09-2010, 10:15 AM
So long story short...one of my friends was driving my 86 sunsport (I had a few too many)...it was dark...and he ran into an "underwater island"...onto, just about, ankle deep water. When we were stuck he tried to push it in reverse...still couldn't get out. $500 and 15hrs later, the tow guys got the boat out with out any damage! The stab. fins aren't bent, the prop and shaft are great, and the rudder is perfect. Boat runs as if nothing happened! It's a miracle!

The only thing that got damaged was a (pretty clean) 2inch gash from either the inpact of the hull landing on the prop...or from when my friend tried to put the boat in reverse.

Obviously, the clearcoat is gone from that spot and the fiberglass got cut up, but the cut didn't go through all the way.

I am going to patch it up the right way during the off season, but was wondering if there is a quick fix for it so I can ride it for a few more weeks - since it didn't go all the way through the hull. I was thiking about sanding it down and patching it up with some fiberglass in the meantime. Is this a good idea...or are there better options?

Salty87
09-09-2010, 11:39 AM
pics would help but sounds like it might be a job for marine tex. is this the hull bottom?

duckseatfree
09-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Yea, I'll try to post pictures later this afternoon.

And yea, this is the hull bottom. I found this...would it be a good temp. fix?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=14907&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10104&subdeptNum=10296&classNum=10297