PDA

View Full Version : Flitz..... Best Ever!!!

DAFF
09-14-2010, 12:15 AM
So here is my story.. Have had my Supra TS6M since 1991. Since day one the gel coat was pink on the sides expecially near the water line. As time progressed the pink turned to white all over the boat. It was so bad it was the major reason I was going to part out the boat. In my mind I thought it would allways be this way.

A frined suggested I sand the boat with some 2000 grit and polish her out. After a few minutes of sanding a spot i used some of this Flitz on the spot!!! It came back almost 95% to the original colour. I finished the whole side of the boat in a few hours!!!:D

ngavchris
09-14-2010, 03:50 AM
I don't believe it. You will have to show so pictures to prove it. LOL

87SunSportMikeyD
09-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Wetsanding does wonders! Most of our boats were purchased in that condition. My pink turned deep red!

wotan2525
09-14-2010, 10:44 AM
I do this every spring... what a paint in the ASS!!! but... by this time of the year it's back to chalky/pink. I'm still stumped about it.

87SunSportMikeyD
09-16-2010, 11:28 AM
I assumed that was because I dont wipe her down enough when wet (waterspots) and I don't wax once a month (oxidization)

oward1202
09-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Does anyone know of a good marine wax? I have been told about it but never tried it. I always use just the same wax that I use on vehicles but heard that there is a marine wax that won't wear off as fast from wiping the boat down and the constant water running across it.

wotan2525
09-16-2010, 03:49 PM
My local fiberglass guy recommended that I use Collinite Fleet Wax.... I applied it every 3-4 weeks this summer and my finish didn't seem to hold up any better. My theory is that the sun is cooking my finish because it only fades above the rub rail and fades or on the front than the back (the front gets more sun where it is stored in my driveway.)

Kip
09-16-2010, 04:52 PM
I use McGuire's marine wax (there top of the line wax). I waxed the boat at the beginning of the summer then once before each of our week vacations (2) in August. The water still beads up on the boat and there is no color fade out. I think the biggest thing is to wipe down the boat as soon as it comes out of the water every time.

oward1202
09-16-2010, 05:56 PM
I will try the McGuire's marine wax then. If it's still beading on your boat then that's a good sign. I wipe mine down everytime I pull the boat out of the water but it still seems to fade a bit. I won't stop wiping it down because I don't want to have a chance of leaving any kind of scum line on it, but it seems like the more you wipe, the more wax is coming off. My boat is bone color hull with thick black stripes. If I don't keep wax on it, it will turn to kind of a charcoal look.

Thanks for the advice

riveredge
09-22-2010, 09:27 AM
If you're only waxing over faded, oxidized gelcoat to begin with, the wax won't "work" to keep the color nice and true. Whether wetsanding is required or just compound, the gelcoat should look perfect before you apply any wax. A guy I work with who used to detail cars, and boats, gave me this advice: "before you wax, the surface should look so perfect that you think, now why would I go and mess this all up with wax?" The wax then is able to protect the nice finish that you have, versus trying to polish a turd, so to speak.

oward1202
09-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks riveredge, that makes pretty good sense to me. Im going to give mine one more good detailing before winter gets here. I will use that method and it should save me some time and effort next spring when all you want to do is just get on the water.