PDA

View Full Version : Prop Shaft to Stablizer ?

zazoos
09-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Hey Gang,

Finished my floor and stringers in my 83 Supra. I'm ready to install my transmission, but need to know how close the prop should be to the prop shaft stabilizer. I appreciate your help. For clarification I attached a pic.

http://homehealthforms.com/Supra/prop.gif

Thanks,

Trent

docdrs
09-15-2010, 07:01 PM
depends on the taper on your shaft, you want the front edge of keyway in the shaft to be at least 1/2" away from your strut. This would be the minimum as you need to have prop clearance from the hull and the closer you get to the strut the closer you get to the hull. Make sure your strut is not in line with your rudder so you can pull the prop shaft with out having to take the rudder off. Shafts come in a variety of lengths. but i'm sure some one on here with your boat can tell you how far the spacing is on their boat, what model is it?

my .02

zazoos
09-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the response. I believe I have the Star Model. The shaft is not inline with the rudder. I have already pulled the shaft, however, I could see how that would be a problem. I was thinking about one inch away from the strut.

Trent

docdrs
09-15-2010, 10:24 PM
just make sure you have clearance for the prop on the bottom of the hull, i'm taking you forgot to measure before you started, if your using the same shaft then clamshell clearance on front and back will help you as well