PDA

View Full Version : Another depth finder question, puck location

PoPz
09-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Was wondering peoples opinions on this, I have a 94 sunsport. I was reading the manual and it says in the rear like near where the prop is, I was wondering if it should go somewhere near the bilge or someplace completely different the either of those???

thanks

cadunkle
09-17-2010, 12:59 PM
I am wondering the same thing but for an '89 Saltare. I installed a gauge in the dash this week and just need to figure out a location for the transducer. I'm thinking either opposite the water pickup for the engine or near/under driveshaft/trans. Trying to think either flattest spot and spot with least chance of air or turbulance while on plane.

wotan2525
09-17-2010, 05:40 PM
I can tell you where not to put it. I put mine in front of the engine right near the bilge pumps. It's never worked. I really do need to knock it out and move it somewhere else.... I think opposite the raw-water intake is probably the best place.

96Comp
09-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Agree with WOTAN2525: don't put in front of the engine in the bulge. I relocated mine to the back across and maybe back of the raw water intake. Works well now. Picks up 95 percent of the time. Before - maybe read depth about 30 percent of the time.

Okie Boarder
09-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Across from the water intake or somewhere in that range. That is a section of the boat that is in the water all the time. Stay in front of the prop so prop wash doesn't impact the readings, as well.

csuggs
09-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Yep - you guys are right. Jim installed mine just about opposite the raw water intake and it works really well there.
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC02961.jpg