PDA

View Full Version : Boating Vacation Plans - requesting ideas

csuggs
09-20-2010, 03:40 PM
I am beginning to make plans for our 2011 vacation to either Smith Mountain Lake, VA or some lake in the mountains of TN or north GA. What do you guys recommend? I'm looking for input, good and bad - lakes and areas you've been, specific places to stay, etc. I'll be looking for a large house on a lake with a dock for 2 boats and sleeping for around 12.

LloydP
09-20-2010, 03:50 PM
SML is a beautiful lake, pretty crowded on the weekends. We have friends with a house there - in the Gill's creek area, so I don't have much to add in terms of where to stay. I do know that there are several options. Gill's creek is a great place to ride. Some of the wide open areas of the lake would definitely not be good for riding.

jasonba1
09-20-2010, 08:45 PM
norris lake in tn for sure

Sluggo
09-21-2010, 10:34 AM
I would second Norris. There are a ton of houses of all shapes and sized to rent. Most of the ones we saw had a fair amount of steps to get from the house down to the water. But other than that, water was great, a ton of coves to board in and the house we rented near Dearfield Estates was awesome and had a two slip covered dock with jet ski ramps.

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-23-2010, 12:36 PM
SML is awesome, but can get crowded. Lake Gaston is huge, lots of coves, rarely crowded - even on holiday weekends. I was there on Memorial day and it was dead.

SML lake has night clubs and is built up. Lake Gaston has fuel and a couple of places to eat, but it is rural.