PDA

View Full Version : Pop, then dead

jonyb
09-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Launched the other day and made it about 5 minutes from the ramp. Running about 35-40 mph. there was a loud pop, then the boat lost power. It didn't die, just went down to idle. Wouldn't go above 2000-2500rpm. Check engine light was already in from a few weeks ago when the batteries were drained. I shut the engine off, waited 20 seconds, rebooted, and it started back up and ran fine all day long.

I had just filled the fuel tank up. It had a little less than 1/2 tank before that. I suspect trash in the fuel filter? The POP threw me off though. Very odd.

jet
09-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Clogged filter or water in the tank?? Water is heaver so it will lay low until the demand from the throttle asks for more then it will show up sometimes. Jet

Fman
09-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Launched the other day and made it about 5 minutes from the ramp. Running about 35-40 mph. there was a loud pop, then the boat lost power. It didn't die, just went down to idle. Wouldn't go above 2000-2500rpm. Check engine light was already in from a few weeks ago when the batteries were drained. I shut the engine off, waited 20 seconds, rebooted, and it started back up and ran fine all day long.

I had just filled the fuel tank up. It had a little less than 1/2 tank before that. I suspect trash in the fuel filter? The POP threw me off though. Very odd.

John,

I would guess fuel filter/bad fuel, are you using Marine Sta-bil? Most people dump it in when they winterize, personally I start to use it in September at every fill up to completely mix into the entire fuel tank and delivery system.

jonyb
09-22-2010, 10:52 PM
That was my guess, bad fuel or a clog in the filter. Not using Marine stabil, but I guess I'll start.

Fman
09-23-2010, 01:17 AM
The fuel filter changes on these are a snap, 5 minute job, you can probably pick one up at your local auto store. I dont have a part #, maybe someone else on here can help you out with that.

WadsworthSunsport22V
12-12-2010, 01:26 AM
Not sure if you had it fixed, but my 07 Sunsport was a problem child with the check engine light since I purchased the boat new.

In October, Indmar sent out firmware updates to the 07 engines to address the false check engine light. I was getting similar loss of powers, but after a restart, it would run find all day. I never had a pop sound though.

I have starting to investigate my next boat purchase. I want a bigger boat. I may buy one in Feb/March time frame. I like the new Malibu 24 LSV. I had the opportunity to seat in one recently. I am even going to look at Correct Craft. The Super Air Nautique 230 is a nice boat, but I am scared the price might get out of hand. I like the look of the new 24 Launch, but only in pictures. My local dealer is great, so I Supra is my first choice, but, still going to check out my options.

jonyb
12-12-2010, 07:52 AM
I never did pursue this any. The closest Indmar dealer is 2 hours away, so something will have to break before I go for any of that, otherwise I work on it myself.

The 247LSV is pretty sweet. I've always loved those. I'd miss the rear-facing seat on mine, but that's about it. The price is what scares me about those boats though. Not cheap!