PDA

View Full Version : Fuel out the vent when filling

cadunkle
09-23-2010, 09:01 AM
I have an '89 Saltare, only had it out three times so far but every time it has sprayed fuel out the vent when filling it. First time caught me by surprise as I didn't realized the tank was getting near full. Next times I turned the key on and watched the gauge, pumping slow and periodically stopping for a moment to let the fuel settle and air push out. Still sprays out. Tank read full at gas station but thought it was odd it only took 25 gallons last time coming from 1/8 tank. Got on water and gauge was no longer reading full but a bit above 3/4.

I've had finicky boats to fill before but usually it's just been fill to 3/4 or so and then just go slow up to full and they usually won't burp any. Anyone else have this problem? It's annoying and I hate to buy gas on the river due to price, or cut the day short because we're out of gas. 46 gallons should be enough if I can get it all in there without making a mess!

csuggs
09-23-2010, 09:44 AM
I've got the same problem - didn't use to, but ever since Viper had the boat apart and put it back together, I've had this issue. Over the winter I plan to remove the back seat and do something to make venting better - maybe the hose is kinked? We'll see.

wotan2525
09-23-2010, 11:26 AM
It's just the way it's going to be. The gauges are too slow to do any real good and the pressure of the gas is going to push it out the vent line unless you stop it before it fills all the way up.

On mine, the sound @ the filler tube changes about 1 second before gas comes out the vent. If I listen and pay attention, I can stop it in time.

jaywidhalm
09-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Also, gas expands quite a bit as it heats up from the pump temp to air temp in your boat. A lot of people notice that they loose gas on the way to the lake, etc as they trailer down the road on a 90 degree day. Just something to keep in mind...

csuggs
09-23-2010, 11:38 AM
It's just the way it's going to be. The gauges are too slow to do any real good and the pressure of the gas is going to push it out the vent line unless you stop it before it fills all the way up.

On mine, the sound @ the filler tube changes about 1 second before gas comes out the vent. If I listen and pay attention, I can stop it in time.

Mine too. I try to listen but the road noise around the service stations usually keeps me from stopping before making a mess.:(

jet
09-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Common prob for a lot of these boats..especially the comps because they sit so low. Mine does this all of the time but is on the list to be fixed this winter, heres 2-ways to fix it. I cant remember who makes this but Its a one-way gas check valve for like $99, or the idea I had was to wind about 5-6 feet of line in a circle and just put a glass filter on it to slow it down and let it vent without purging gas all over my trailer Led light. Jet

oward1202
09-23-2010, 05:54 PM
My 85 comp does the exact same thing. Also keep in mind that the boat does not sit quite level on the trailer as it would on the water. This is going to force the fuel to the rear of you tank. Therefore, you cant really fill it all the way up. Atleast that's how it is for me. The major part about that is the I drive an F250 and it just sits too high. Anyway, it's extremely frustrating when you try to keep a clean boat and then it burps gas down the side before you even make it to the water.

Okie Boarder
09-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Yup, I don't think there is a boat out there that doesn't burp some gas. It either comes out the filler area or the vent. You guys are right about the sound changing, but it's usually so fast that it is hard to get it shut off in time, especially with other noises around, like Clint said.

I just stay out of the way and let it burp a little biat. I have a spray bottle of degreaser with me and I just spray and wipe after the burp.

Loadup
09-24-2010, 12:05 PM
My 90 saltare does the same thing. I try to listen for gargle at vent then proceed with caution.

sybrmike
09-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Now I'm curious. When disassembling my Salt, I found what looked to be the original fuel vent fitting (chromed or s/s with mesh screen located on top port side opposite fuel fill) disconnected. The fuel vent line from the tank had been routed to the port side of transom just below rubrail and connected to a black plastic thru hull that was tee shaped w/ maybe an internal valve???

The pieces are buried in boxes somewhere & hadn't got around to figuring this one out yet? Could this have been an attempt to fix the overflow issue? Thought I'd seen a similar transom vent on here somewhere. Wouldn't the original higher location work best?

jet
09-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Yes, the higher the better and I would add 3-4-5' more of hose for more protection...but wow venting into the through hull sounds dangerous. lol

Okie Boarder
09-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Ultimately, though, the fuel will burp out somewhere right? It's either going to come out the vent line or the fill line or both, I would think.

rludtke
09-24-2010, 10:03 PM
I can't rely on the sound alone when fueling my Comp. I have hold the filler nozzle up near the top of the filler neck so that I can see the fuel level backing up, and i can't run the pump full open. This slows the process down, but any other way means the filler backs up and spills over very quickly, multiple time while filling. I suspect the vent is not adequately sized for the typical fuel pump delivery rates.

cadunkle
09-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Okay going out tomorrow morning, thinking about trying to add more fuel line to the vent today and see if it makes a difference. I would think it would need to be all fairly straight or at least set in a way to any fuel that surges up the vent would drain back, otherwise it would sit at a low point and block the vent. Just trying to think of ways to improve this.

When the fuel surges out the vent I can't see fuel when looking down the filler neck. On other boats before I get a spill I'll slow down and can watch it in the filler neck, and it'll either burp and level goes down or if it stays I know I'm just about full. The Saltare just pukes out the vent with no warning, and can't hear anything from the vent to warn me since it's on the other side of the boat.

rludtke
09-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Personally, I think the vent needs to be a larger diameter, and as short as possible. I think the current vent is to restrictive.

Blackntan90
09-26-2010, 05:15 PM
I too hated this small issue with an otherwise great boat, so I purchased an air/fuel seperator from Racor. I got it from overtons or skidim- I can't remember. It works as advertised, fuel will now come up the filler neck, and if i'm not careful, down the side! I agree that IF you can hear the fuel noise change, you can stop in time. The gas station I use has music playing loud enough to make fueling a challenge!

wotan2525
09-27-2010, 12:26 PM
I can't rely on the sound alone when fueling my Comp. I have hold the filler nozzle up near the top of the filler neck so that I can see the fuel level backing up, and i can't run the pump full open. This slows the process down, but any other way means the filler backs up and spills over very quickly, multiple time while filling. I suspect the vent is not adequately sized for the typical fuel pump delivery rates.

Your vent fitting could also be clogged with wax or something else. This happened to me, I took it off and soaked it overnight and it worked great.

rludtke
09-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Your vent fitting could also be clogged with wax or something else. This happened to me, I took it off and soaked it overnight and it worked great.

You know Wotan, you are probably right. I assumed that this was normal.