PDA

View Full Version : Slop in rudder... Thoughts?

cadunkle
09-25-2010, 10:44 PM
I have an '89 Saltare. Rudder I can grab from below and move back and forth a bit, it has some slop in it. Not obscene but enough to be concerned. Don't get a lot of water in the boat, bilge goes on maybe twice in 6 hours on the water.

Tonight among other tasks I tried tightening the rudder packing nut, which tightened the slop in he rudder a small amount. I'm thinking being as the oat's 21 years old the ridder housing with the bushing or bearing is worn out. I figure it's a brass bushing since it's the earlier style with the packing nut same as on the shaft.

I'm guessing I need a new rudder and piece with the bushing that goes through the hull. Will get out a few more times this season with this like it is, but thinking a new rudder assembly is in the agenda before next season. Also it's a little hard to steer left, I'm guessing this is a stiff cable which will need to be replaced as well.

If anyone can recommend what to replace my rudder and cable with that would be great. Also any tips on the process. The Saltare has been great for me the past few weeks since I got it, but shows some wear and some of these things that need going through.

wotan2525
09-27-2010, 12:28 PM
I don't think your rudder is a problem... if water isn't coming in and you can steer -- it's doing its job.

The cable certainly does need to be replaced, though. Skidim sells it (get a new helm at the same time) and it's pretty straightforward to replace. Took me about 2 hours to do mine... not as bad as it is on newer boats, that's for sure.

DKJBama92Mariah
09-27-2010, 11:24 PM
cadunke,

Is it only hard to steer when under power or is stiff at idle as well?

Also note that all of these older Supras will be slightly harder to turn left than right or vice-versa. They were built this way to keep the boat from wandering left-right when running down a slalom course. The slight pull to the left or right is created by the profile of the bevel on the leading edge of the rudder.

cadunkle
09-28-2010, 08:11 AM
It's only harder to turn left when under power. Not crazy hard, but a little harder than I expected. This is my first inboard, so maybe I'm getting more worried about it than I should be. At idle speeds the steering is 1 finger smooth.

I was thinking under speed the rudder was cocking at an ingle in the bore which could be making extra resistance. I'll see if I can take a quick video this week showing the slop in the rudder and you guys can tell me if you think I should be worried about it or not.