PDA

View Full Version : Hit.....Rock......

mapleleaf
09-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Boat hit a rock this weekend, gonna need a drive shaft, strut/bearings, rudder (gone) and a prop.....
Having a hard time getting the bent drive shaft and original strut mounting screws out, any tips???? We weren't going to fast and nobody was injured, but I wasn't driving and really wish now that I had been.....When my heart leaves my throat I'll try and take some pics, glad no one was hurt and that this comes at the end of the season.......The hull has a couple gelcoat chips where it looks like prop schrapnel would'a hit it, but other than that it's the running gear that's toast.....

docdrs
09-26-2010, 09:20 PM
hey john sorry to hear of your mishap. Had a bud take off his rudder,strut and prop this summer....he used a place up in haliburton to get his shaft staightened, prop repaired and a new rudder

saltare inverts
09-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Oh bummer, hate to hear that. Make sure you call insurance on that one.

DKJBama92Mariah
09-27-2010, 01:59 AM
That really sucks mapleleaf. I've been there man, not a rock, but over the years I've broken everything you broke at least once. I'm on my 3rd shaft, 4th strut, 2nd prop, and 2nd rudder.

+1 on the insurance. If everthing's trashed, you're looking at $1250 doing it yourself.
Strut is $198 from skidim. The new strut will come with bushings.
Driveshaft is $315 from skidim.

The rudder skidim carries looks to be different from ours. When I had to replace mine, I bought direct from Skier's Choice and I think it was somewhere north of $300, how far, I cannot remember. Note: the skidim rudder comes with a new rudder port. My Supra replacement rudder did not.

How trashed is the prop? Any blades sheared off or folded over? It could be repairable for use as a spare. I think there may be a prop vendor or two hanging around the forums here. Personally, I went to my local prop sales and service shop to buy my prop. The guy that runs the place is a real nice fella. For many years he has beat my props back into shape and balance when I bend 'em for a reasonable cost. I gave him first shot when I needed a new prop. He came back with a reasonable price, so I bought from him.

Now, I GOTTA see pics of the carnage.:D

mapleleaf
09-27-2010, 07:39 AM
I'll take some pics tonight after work, the only thing I keep thinking is it would've been better if I was driving when my boat got wrecked!!! The strut mounting screws are going to be the worst, prolly been there 20 yrs.
Good old Canadian shield has taken another victim, we were on 6 Mile Lake and seemed to find the unmarked rock! Fishermen at our caMP found the same one earlier in the am......
Doc, if you could get the name of that shop in Haliburton that'd be great!!!

docdrs
09-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Kawartha Prop Service. 7057687767. Ask for John

Okie Boarder
09-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Man that sucks! Sounds like you have some solid advice already. Good luck!

mapleleaf
09-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Man that sucks! Sounds like you have some solid advice already. Good luck!

At least its the end of the season!!!!! Its also gonna make the shaft log repair a little easier, cuz everything will be outta the way. Kinda thought my rudder was already bent, so it'll just be that much better next year! Watch this turn into a stringer job!!!!!!

Sluggo
09-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Concur on getting insurance involved. I had a very similiar thing happen last year. A friend was driving and pulling me on my board. I got to see the whole boat almost jump out of the water. All I can say is just be thankful no one was hurt and don't beat yourself up (or your driver) over this as there is no way either of you would have known it was coming. My driver was so paranoid that I was mad and it took her a few trips before she would drive again. Moral of the story, you can replace a drive shaft, prop, etc... a good driver and more importantly a good friend, no so easy.

foxriverat
09-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Sorry to hear that. In the 20 years I have been skiing. My boats have hit twice. And both times I was behind the boat skiing. One time about 100ft of a point water was a foot deep. Bottom was rocks and gravel. The boat made it through. I didnt. Stopped dead on my slalom ski. Ripped my shorts my leg and my arm up. When they came back and asked how I was. I said ok. But what about my boat. I will never forget the sad look on their faces. I had insurance take care of it both times. Around $3000 both times. Last time being around 10 years ago. Can imagine what it would cost now if not fixing yourself.

DKJBama92Mariah
09-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Mapleleaf,
Is the shaft visibly bent? If not, take it to a machine shop to verify. I had MEAN prop strike earlier this summer. I hit a snag (river lingo for a log floating with one end on the bottom and the other suspended near the surface or at the surface) at WOT and about 46 mph. Oddly enough, the shaft checked out at the machine shop with a total runout of .003", right on the line. However, the actual tube on the strut was bent to the extent that with new Vesconite bushings, the shaft would not slide through both bushings. A new strut cured that ill.

Regardless, after any driveline work, an engine alignment should be performed or you'll end up with , vibration, worn bushings and possibly a snapped shaft eventually.

Again, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.

mapleleaf
09-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Got the strut off after work, looks pretty bent, don't have the right size socket to get the driveshaft off the coupler, Anybody know the size??? Looks like 1 1/4" nut, but I'm not sure. The driveshaft is visibly bent but I've been told it maybe repaired.....Found a place called Bayview Propeller about an hour and a half north of here that sounded pretty knowledgeable in repair and replacement and will price the job before he starts it.
Talked with insurance today and they'll play ball, my deductible is $500 so it seems like a no brainer.....
Footnote: There's a bunch of fiberglass repair and a shaft log that had already needed repair in the bilge/rear stringer area, who knows where this will lead!!!!!!!

docdrs
09-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Got the strut off after work, looks pretty bent, don't have the right size socket to get the driveshaft off the coupler, Anybody know the size??? Looks like 1 1/4" nut, but I'm not sure. The driveshaft is visibly bent but I've been told it maybe repaired.....Found a place called Bayview Propeller about an hour and a half north of here that sounded pretty knowledgeable in repair and replacement and will price the job before he starts it.
Talked with insurance today and they'll play ball, my deductible is $500 so it seems like a no brainer.....
Footnote: There's a bunch of fiberglass repair and a shaft log that had already needed repair in the bilge/rear stringer area, who knows where this will lead!!!!!!!

did ya give John a call?

mapleleaf
09-27-2010, 09:30 PM
did ya give John a call?

No Gonna call him, in the am.....Forgot to write down the number when I was online with my phone at work, blackberry surfing no fun for me, don't know why I got it!!!!
Any ideas on the nut size holding the coupler to the driveshaft???

DKJBama92Mariah
09-27-2010, 11:54 PM

I think you're right and it is 1-1/4", I'm almost positive it's the same size as the prop nut. Sounds like you've got things well under control. Good luck with it. Since your insurance is footing the bill and IF the shop is reputable you might consider letting them do the install work as well just to save you the hassle.

SIDE NOTE: I wouldn't sweat it regarding your friend driving at the time. Stuff happens. I had a strut just up and break while a friend was pulling me on a wakeboard. I also had a really sweet young lady back my boat over my ski rope when I was boarding on another lake. LEOs were out and she was the only other person in the boat with a boating license. I didn't have it in me to be mad at her, even though it did take us 45 minutes of diving under the boat to untangle the rope from the prop. Now, I carry a cheapy mil-surplus survival knife in the boat; for cutting ropes, not the girl.

Good luck with it Mapleleaf and keep us all posted with your progress.

mapleleaf
09-28-2010, 07:31 AM
DKJ, My prop nut was 1 1/16" and apparently that was the biggest socket I had!!! Gonna go pick a couple today.....

mapleleaf
09-28-2010, 08:00 AM
here's the prop....

docdrs
09-28-2010, 12:33 PM
wow, the rock def won that battle

mapleleaf
09-28-2010, 04:57 PM
wow, the rock def won that battle

LOL, It actually closed the windshield going about 20-25 mph! Talked with John at K P today, Seems like he really knows his stuff, and lives next door to his shop, which makes him really accommodating. Turns out you gave me his cell number! He said if I wanted he could turn everything around in a week. He'll also help with the rudder replacement including the hub.......Gonna head up in a week or two......thanks again......

DKJBama92Mariah
09-29-2010, 12:48 AM
DKJ, My prop nut was 1 1/16" and apparently that was the biggest socket I had!!! Gonna go pick a couple today.....

I'm getting old; memory's fading. I should have remembered that; I had mine apart less than a month ago.:confused:

Regarding the prop: that looks pretty vicious man, but I wouldn't send it to the scrap heap just yet. I have seen one about that bad at my local prop shop. AFAIK the prop guy was able to beat it back into shape. As long as you're not missing a blade, they have something to work with. However, only a pro can determine if a prop is repairable and it certainly cant be determined from just a picture. There is more there than the untrained eye can see. If you knocked a blade too far out of track, all bets are off.

Personally, if it were my boat, it would order a new CNC wheel on the insurance's dime and attempt to have the wrecked one repaired for use as a spare on your own dime. It could be passable, but it will probably never be butter smooth again. I know my original 14x16 OJ Legend that I use as a spare isn't; but it gets me by when my 4-blade CNC wheel is in the shop. A spare prop can definitely be a day saver.

Just something to chew on.

DAFF
09-29-2010, 02:07 AM
Hey Mapleleaf...

Sorry about the prop and stuff. Been working on the old Comp. Floor almost done bringing it in to get the interior done over the next week or so.

I'm no expert but wouldn't the rock cause excessive stringer dammage and stress;) Time for the old insurance to cough up some coin for that stringer job!!!

jet
09-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Mapleleaf..welcome to da club. Most us have been there. You can save some big coin by having any machine lath company build you a shaft. I think I had mine made for $125?? Just give them the dimensions and they can make it in one day. That will help pay for the strut. Sorry to hear that man. Jet

87SunSportMikeyD
09-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Sorry buddy :( best wishes for repairs

mapleleaf
09-29-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm ok, got another reason to tool on the boat everynight!! And yes its looking more and more like a stringer job!!! Some fiberglass damage occurred around the strut's backing plate......Geico's gonna hate me.......
What was the only thing that worked on an old boat again???? oh right.....ME!!!!!

87SunSportMikeyD
09-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Maybe the rock caused the stringer damage haha! That would be awesome if it was paid for

docdrs
09-30-2010, 05:18 PM
uh how much do you have the boat insured for?

mapleleaf
09-30-2010, 06:01 PM
I think they've got replacement value at 7500-8000k. I just switched policies this summer and don't want to take advantage too much.; Part of knows I got myself into this, the other part will let insurance pay for what's right....
It might sound sick, but I do want to learn to fiberglass and would feel really good knowing I put it back together.....

docdrs
09-30-2010, 09:44 PM
some policies limit underwater damage to a percentage of the boat value or something like that.....not sure as I have horseshoes in my boat and have never hit anything in over 20 years of boating

mapleleaf
10-01-2010, 12:36 PM
I remembered reading that in one of your older posts a second or two after we bottomed out last sat. Thanks I'd like to borrow one of those shoes!!!!!!!!

DAFF
10-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Start looking for some deals states side. Have seen a few cheap boats in need of trans/ engines over the last few weeks. All you have to do is add taxes if they are brought over as parts.....

mapleleaf
10-07-2010, 06:44 PM
little update on my progress.... All the running gear from the traNNy back has been removed, next comes grinding and damage control...perhaps I should start a proper rebuild thread.....Don't know how far I'm going to take it...we'll have to see what I find.
Anybody checked out these new low drag rudder's now on the market??? It's the one on the left!!!!

Blackntan90
10-07-2010, 07:55 PM
WOW! Thats a pretty clean break! Did the impact break the fiberglass loose?
Sorry again for you having to go through this- it really makes my mishap look rather minor!

mapleleaf
10-07-2010, 08:37 PM
WOW! Thats a pretty clean break! Did the impact break the fiberglass loose?
Sorry again for you having to go through this- it really makes my mishap look rather minor!

It did, but as usual the ply underneath was soaked and not much is stickin to it, I'm def. in for bilge and rear stringer repair or basically stringers until I find good wood in them.... It's just helping me take care of the inevitable.....

DKJBama92Mariah
10-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Ouch mapleleaf! That pains my heart to see that. :(

Tell your buddy to drive AROUND the jetty, not OVER it.