PDA

View Full Version : I want to hear exhaust ( 2003 launch indmar 320 )

peshaw_ss
09-29-2010, 08:55 PM
hello all just got a 03 launch and i want it to hear the 320hp that i feel. i know most want a super quiet ride, not me, i like to hear the muscle. any help (performance muffler-captains call-anything)would be good thanks alot

Fman
09-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Buy some open old school headers off a 70's jet boat (old sanger), and cut out your swim platform covers to accomodate the exhaust, I have seen this done before.... crazy sounding, you gain an extra 30 horsepower! a little hard to lay out on the deck in the sun, but thats over-rated anyway! Surfing is also a little rough after this modification from the hot water and Co2 coming out the exhaust tips....

Just kidding... sorry, cant help you out ;). I think the CAT ETX EXHAUST is great, you still know its a V8 but you dont smell any exhaust and its not too loud.

docdrs
09-29-2010, 10:16 PM
just remove your muffler and have it free flow.....not sure if its legal but ya won't really hear it till ya take off

peshaw_ss
09-29-2010, 11:09 PM
a dealer said water would get in if i were to do this since the pipes are under water line. does this sound correct even if i keep the flappers?

ScottnAz
09-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Buy a flat-bottom with dry stacks..... :) :)
Oh ya, and grow a mullet.... :) :)

Joking - Welcome to the Supra site!!

peshaw_ss
09-29-2010, 11:27 PM
ha ha yea right away thanks ur buddy Fman had me going at first also

Mani
09-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Oh ya, and grow a mullet.... :) :)

LMAO! Billy Ray Style.

csuggs
09-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Do the newer boats have mufflers? I know mine is just 3" straight pipes all the way out - sounds really good. But if you want that above the water line exhaust outlet it's gonna take some serious modification . . .

87SunSportMikeyD
09-30-2010, 10:37 AM
You may have an in-line silencer that could be removed. This would be located in the mufflers somewhere, if you can see them you should be able to find it.

I personally prefer being able to talk and hear while I am boating. :)

87SunSportMikeyD
09-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Peshaw I can move or merge your thread but please try and avoid duplicate posting. It's a small forum, your post will get viewed.

peshaw_ss
09-30-2010, 07:31 PM
gotcha thanks for the heads up

cadunkle
10-01-2010, 05:07 PM
My Saltare I believe originally had mufflers but someone along the line replaced them with straight pipe. Probably just a baffled tube or box somewhere along the exhaust, mine would have been under the gas tank. Just pull them wherever they are and replace with straight pipe. I think a lot of older boats that had them were replaced due to rotting out or leaking.

I'm a Ford man myself, but I confess I do enjoy the sound of the 454 in the Supra. It's a little annoying to not be able to talk to a rider directly behind you at idle, but whatever... I love the sound of the old inboards.

As for damage without the mufflers... No, you will get no damage. Put flappers on the back so you don't get any big rush of water towards the engine. Boats have risers on the manifolds for two reasons... So there is always air above the water line, and to prevent reversion from cam overlap from pulling water back in the cylinders, since water is flowing back and down with the exhaust. You'd really have to slam your boat to get the waterline close enough to need extensions on your risers.

peshaw_ss
10-01-2010, 11:00 PM
nice info thanks alot for your time thats what ill do may get annoying after awhile but it can always be changed back thank again