PDA

View Full Version : Follow up on Oil spray

87 Blue Saltare
09-23-2004, 12:59 PM
I got the boat out in the water this morning and got in two runs each with my wife before Ivan roles in here this afternoon. I found the oil leak. It is coming up into the air intake from the vent tubes in the top of the head covers. Does anyone know why oil would be sucking up like that? It has apparently been sucked into the manifold because my engine started running super rough and would barely run at idle after we'd taken two passes each. That would foul the plugs, right? It was enough oil that there was already oil draining down onto the top of the manifold behind the carb. Go figure! Good news is all my new hoses were good and didn't leak! ...And I got to ski a bit before it all went south. What is the purpose of those vent tubes anyway? Do you think there might be a need to replace them...???

Thanks, David

Mike
09-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Could it be that your air filter is so fouled that the it is creating a vacuum on your vent tubes? Might want to look at how clean your air filter is or even pull it off for a run and see if your problem continues.

Mike

87 Blue Saltare
09-26-2004, 05:54 PM
There's not really an air cleaner, but a flame arester.
Here's what I think now...
I have compression in the cylinder which is blowing out the head cover vents. It's enough to blow oil right out. My friend calls it "blow by" from the exhaust that escapes (is not supposed to escape) past the rings and into the cylinder. Bad news...probably need a major overhaul.

anyone want to buy a great old wake board boat?

Salty87
09-30-2004, 07:16 PM
nah, sounds like it's time to get to know the insides of your engine.

sorry to hear that but at least it happened at the end of the summer.

good luck with your new project.

kevin

87 Blue Saltare
10-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Kevin,
you're right. looks like poor compression in the #7 cylinder. Haven't torn off the head yet. I'm going to sell it. Bought a 95 sport nautique. I feel like I'm selling out because I loved this message board and being an old Supra owner. I love the Nautique though.

David

Salty87
10-14-2004, 06:13 PM
david,

congrats on your purchase! i'd be full of it if i said i never thought of getting a newer boat.

got pics?
are you gonna fix the saltare up?

kevin

87 Blue Saltare
10-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Thanks.

I've only got two pics right now and they were taken by the dealer. I'm going to try to get a camera and get some more soon. I'll send them.

My Saltare: http://photos.yahoo.com/davidmbridges