PDA

View Full Version : Custom Interior ??$$$??

DAFF
10-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Got a quote for a complete custom interior for the old TS6M. Shorty (friend doing the work) is going to make a custom captains chair based on the old bottom cushion. eliminating the full bench in the rear and opting for two corner chairs with a area in the middle clear to the rear of the boat. Re do the dog house and side pannels and the front rear facing seat. The carpet will be red with grey seats and red pin striping and thread. The multi colour stripes will also be red to match the boat.

Shorty has been doing some crazy stuff and just got done a 45' diesel pusher limo bus.

Gave me a quote of $1800.00 complete for everything!!! Said this is his slow season and will be starting this week !!! Will be adding some picks as the work progresses.

DAFF
10-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Has anyone changed the layout much on the TS6M??? I have allways hated the full bench for it allways seems to get a pounding with everyone in and out of the boat!! Also will be adding a small foam shaped chair to put behind the captains chair. It will also fit between the two rear corner chairs. It will have no frame just straight foam filled cushions that can be also be used as a day recliner!!!

PoPz
10-03-2010, 06:14 PM
sounds like it's gonna be sweet, and that price is good compared to what they are quoting me in California for a re-upholstery job. Post pics when done please

rludtke
10-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi Daff,

I designed a free-standing jump seat for behind the helm seat that fits the TS6M. It is not mounted, and can be lifted out at anytime. It also functions very well as a mounting or dismounting step when moored alongside the dock.

I included drawings in my post: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3989

Cheers,

jet
10-04-2010, 03:00 PM
YEAH! I have..when my back seat went out do to people standing on it I replaced it with a sundeck..and more! Its a fat sac holder/ice chest/sundeck. Check out my link below for pictures. I really like the walk-over middle idea and it wouldn't be hard to incorporate some rear facing pop up seats : ) Thats whats swimming around in my head. Jet

DAFF
10-05-2010, 04:13 PM
The interior is gutted now and the rebuild begins. Has anyone built the captains chair so it is higher off the ground than factory??? Can't wait to start seeing some results.. Will be posting some pics as the build continues.

mapleleaf
10-05-2010, 05:31 PM
I believe rickr did with a carpeted plywood riser, check his resto thread it should be near the end somewhere.......

DAFF
10-06-2010, 01:14 AM
RICKR sure did an awsome job on his boat. 3" riser will be perfect then.... Any news on the old rock eat R ??? Shame to have the interior done this late in the season, but I saved a bundle....

mapleleaf
10-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Looks like I've found a prop service north of Peterborough to handle repair and replacement. And am hoping to pickup used drive shaft and strut from the forum here. Should get all the parts up for examination in the next month.....May have some doghouse vinyl work for your guy in the off season, his price is the best I've heard in Ont. yet!!!!

96Comp
10-06-2010, 08:26 PM
I want to add storage to my Comp. Has anyone tried raising the rear seats to add storage under them? I still need the seats for family. Second question: anyone figured a way to put the back rest of the front rear facing bench on a hinge? It's a pain to find a place to put it when accessing the bow storage.

I put my captain's chair on a swivel plate purchsed from bass pro shop and raised the seat 2". Better view. Cannot swivel all the way, but can move the seat out of the way to get to the driver's side storage.

The projects for this winter are hydraulic wake plate and either perfect pass stargazer or reupholster interior. Since the interior is in good shape I am thinking the stargazer!

mapleleaf
10-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I tried and tried to find a way to get more storage under my rear bench, best plan I could come up with was to cut the base of the bench and piano hinge it. But even then I was only getting a storage space 3" deep on either side of the bilge....
The taller you make the base of the bench the shorter the back rest has to be, and I tried letting the bench stick up past the rear rope locker......it was not flattering....

jet
10-06-2010, 08:38 PM
YES!! SEE REPLY #3! Or this link below..already done.

link
https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=86

96Comp
10-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks 90 Conbrio and Jet. I agree raising the rear cushions is odd. I put one of the cushions on a 5" block to see what the back felt like - hit right in the kidneys. Any taller and would be no backrest at all and any shorter and would not get any more storage. I like Jet's work on the sundeck, but like I said - the wife and kids want seats. Maybe I can convince them that they can sit on the sundeck and still be comfortable and not fall out! Jet, how does the sundeck work for your passengers? The storage under the expanded sundeck would be awesome! Fat sacs, cooler, assorted stuff.

DAFF
10-06-2010, 09:14 PM
How about moving the whole seat forward and leaving a space between the seat and the tank.... Making the seat concave to get around the dog house.

mapleleaf
10-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Or my new plan which will be to use space below the floor under the rear bench. My hands are tied in that I have to do some fiberglass work there in the off season, With a 96 I realize this work isn't necessary, but since I'm fixing my shaft log and strut backing plate, I figure I'll dive into the rear stringers and floor and find some space!!!!!! And just won't put the floor back under the bench.....

96Comp
10-07-2010, 08:15 AM
I use the bilge space to store small items in a sac -- like ropes, etc. Don't want to get anything tangled with the steering cables, drive shaft and all. The space under the sundeck holds the dry fatsacs/pump. Would be nice to fold them up and dry store under the rear seats. Like other Comp owners, I find that filled fatsacs along side the doghouse is the best ballast position for, so I don't see filling them and placing them under the seats.

My boat does not have any space under the outside seats because the exhaust runs there. There may be some small areas, but the 3.5" exhaust tubes fill the space. Another thought are the sides where the speakers and trim are. Newer Comps have storage there. I may remove the padded sides and speakers and see if I can remove some of the fiberglass side wall and have the pads reupholstered to match. Rob, my Supra dealer/mechanic, says it can be done. The starboard side has the trottle and transmission cables, but a mesh bottom should take care of that.

The whole idea is to get as much stuff off the floor and into an area where I can reach it without going to the bow storage all the time. With the sacs filled, we climb over or sit on the doghouse. I saw a Moomba last weekend that had a seat formed into the rear of the doghouse. Did not look all that great but was really functional.

jet
10-07-2010, 10:16 AM
the #1 reason I changed my design was that no one sat in the seats anyway. They would sit on the rear deck because the seats were to low, they would stand on the seats (thats what breaks it) anytime someone was putting gear on and you cant sit there if someone is riding anyway because of the rope. With the sundeck, its just like a seat, your feet are one the floor while you sit on sundeck. I designed mine after the X-7 Mastercraft that I saw at the boat show one year. Its the best design..650lb fat sac underneath and seating above. The rear storage area opens to the interior side now and its a storage area or ice chest, and the sundeck holds 2-people instead of 1. I still have to put gas shocks on the fat sac holder part of the deck and a piano hinge to finish it off. Now I can put 650 lbs in the rear and a 400 in the nose and my floor is open to walk around. The wake is better once you get into the 1400-1600 range but its nice to have a floor to walk on. Jet

wotan2525
10-07-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm sure it depends on where you ride, but my body of water is HEAVILY patrolled and you will get pulled over and get a ticket if someone is sitting on the gunnal or the sundeck. My rear seat has a really short back and we've been pulled over several times as the bikini patrol thought people were sitting on the swim deck.

DAFF
10-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Stoped in to se Shorty and kick around some ideas...
Decided to cross the rear seat with the sun deck idea. The deck will consist of two sections the rear the same as before and the front will be on a piano hinge and covert into the back of the seat and up for the sun deck. The seat or bottom portion of the chair will be made of blocks of foam wrapped in typicial seat material. These blocks can also be used as through pillows or create a seat behind the driver.

DAFF
10-13-2010, 10:34 PM
All the old coverings have been removed. The wood backing repaired and replaced and getting ready for the re cover. Brought in the old captains chair for Shorty to try to make a new one. The wooden casing is totally rotten and almost untraceable..... Will be finished tomorrow. All in all the interior is looking great, can't wait to see the finished product.

Helped Shorty in removing some of the staples on the captains chair. 4 staples per inch per seam. Figured it out to be 3-4 hundred in the complete chair!!!! Not including the bottom cushion!!!

mapleleaf
10-13-2010, 11:12 PM
I pulled every staple and stitch on my my boat when I did mine, those old interiors were built very well.....

DAFF
11-06-2010, 09:53 AM
The interior is going well. Slow but progress. Shorty re created the captains chair from the few pieces that were not totally rotten. All new wood which was gel coated and the bottom was reinforced with 3/4" plywood.

The factory rainbow stripe has been scrapped.... I've created a wave design to be incorperated into the horizontal pannels of the boat. Shorty is doing the engine cover first. All medium grey with burgandy piping with the wave inlay on the side pannels. Will snap a few pics tonight and post.

The interior will definitly pop out from the contast from the med grey seats burgandy wave and carpet. Might even try to inlay the same wave pattern in the carpet for the final touch..