PDA

View Full Version : coupler to drive shaft

mapleleaf
10-06-2010, 07:31 PM
I can't seem to get the key out of the coupler/driveshaft connection on my boat. Apparently there isn't a lot of room on these Conbrio's between the shaft log and the tranny, which has made this very difficult. Anybody got a trick I'm miss'in??? I've already ground a special socket to get the mounting nut off of the driveshaft, but beyond that I can't seperate the driveshaft.
Problem is I've removed the strut and until I get the driveshaft out I'm not too comfortable towing it anywhere......

docdrs
10-06-2010, 08:47 PM
not sure what you are talking about but here is a trick used to get my coupler off the propshaft
(Loosen the nylock nut off the coupler, but not all the way off the the prop shaft threads, then insert a smaller nut or socket inside the nylock against the end of the propshaft so that it is protruding past the nylock and the coupler, then pull back against the drive shaft coupler and using 2 bolts tighten until propshaft coupler breaks free. (if driveshaft coupler has center opening you will need flat stock or lay another wrench across opening and use longer bolts to pull the 2 couplers together) tighten each nut about 1/8 of a turn at a time......this will act as a press to free the shaft coupler).

DKJBama92Mariah
10-06-2010, 09:17 PM
This

not sure what you are talking about but here is a trick used to get my coupler off the propshaft
(Loosen the nylock nut off the coupler, but not all the way off the the prop shaft threads, then insert a smaller nut or socket inside the nylock against the end of the propshaft so that it is protruding past the nylock and the coupler, then pull back against the drive shaft coupler and using 2 bolts tighten until propshaft coupler breaks free. (if driveshaft coupler has center opening you will need flat stock or lay another wrench across opening and use longer bolts to pull the 2 couplers together) tighten each nut about 1/8 of a turn at a time......this will act as a press to free the shaft coupler).

Take that socket you ground down and turn it around the other way with the square-drive side facing the driveshaft. Then push the shaft and coupler forwards to catch that socket in between the driveshaft and the transmission output flange. Like docdrs said, then use the coupler bolts to pull the coupler to the transmission flange. In this process, the socket wedged in there pushes the shaft out of the coupler.

EDIT to add: Resist the temptation to beat the coupler with a hammer; it is made of soft brass or bronze and beating it with a steel hammer will only destroy the coupler.

mapleleaf
10-06-2010, 09:39 PM
got it....you guys are great!!!! haven't beat it with a hammer yet, but was tempted!!! Keep finding more damage from hitting that rock, backing plate stage for the strut is all messed up, thankfully not on the outside of the hull. I'm gonna redo the rear half of the boat...stringers, bilge and hopefully create some more storage under the rear bench.....

jet
10-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Mapeleaf there isnt enough room under the floor to add any storage..the back of the boat from the water to floor is about 10" and the silencers take up most of that room, dont get to excited yet. Sorry. :(

mapleleaf
10-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Mapeleaf there isnt enough room under the floor to add any storage..the back of the boat from the water to floor is about 10" and the silencers take up most of that room, dont get to excited yet. Sorry. :(

LOL....figures....