PDA

View Full Version : Let's See your jig/support system!

WakeSurfCanada
10-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Hey Guys,

As the cold weather approaches I am starting to line things up for my structural rebuild over the winter.

Which had lead me to the question of how other have supported both the top cap when separated as well as the hull while you are removing/replacing the stringers. Please post pics if you have them.

The way things are shaping up for my rebuild it looks like I will be removing the interior/top cap at my house and then bringing the hull down to a friends shop to do the stringer job.

That being said, I also may have an opportunity to give the top cap some love (stereo/cosmetic) at a separate location. So what are your thoughts on transporting the top cap once it has been removed from the boat? Am I asking for trouble by even considering it?

Thanks in Advance,
Cory

sybrmike
10-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Here's how my Saltare still sits...

The top cap is supported on a frame of 2x4 and 1x4 and mounted on 3 furniture dollies - I had to be able to move it out of the way so I could use the same lifting points in the garage rafters to lift the hull bottom off the trailer. Also handy to roll it out onto the driveway for wetsanding & stuff. It's pretty flimsy - to the point I'd be nervous transporting it without bracing it really well.

I rebuilt the stringers one at a time while the hull bottom was still on the trailer, so I don't think things shifted too much during the process (won't know for sure till I try to mate the two halves again). It was so stiff with new stringers and floor, I was able to lift the bottom at the bow eye & transom lift ring without any noticable deflection. Fabbed another portable dolly for this half with landscape timber uprights, 2x6 bunks, and 1x4 bracing. Waiting on my trailer to get back from powdercoating so I can start reversing the order. Good luck with your project

WakeSurfCanada
10-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks Mike!

That looks awesome, defiantly gives me an idea of what I'm in for.

I was wondering about that top cap, so maybe removing it at the one location would be my best bet.

Any thoughts on doing the string job on the ground? The support system that would be needed at that point?

Please keep the info and pic's coming.

sybrmike
10-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Yea, I'd keep moving the top cap around to a minimum - even with my bracing, I'm very careful just making the 1-1/2" drop from garage to driveway. I lifted from 3 places (front cleat, intake vent, rear cleat) on each side since the Saltare is sooo long.

At first I cut some 2x4's to span the width at the top edge of the hull in 3 places(screwed through existing rubrail rivet holes into the ends of the wood) to help hold the shape. However, with the good support from the original trailer and one stringer at a time, the hull held its shape quite well. If you don't have a trailer with good support, I'd support it full length beneath both inner stringers and again out near the chine so it doesn't droop, hook, or twist. Securing the top edge width at the rubrail will help the bottom hold its shape as well.

My hull cradle in the pic only has one set of 2x6 supports under the inner stringers, but I built it after the new stringers and floor were in so I could work on the trailer. I'd add a second set of supports out near the chine if using this during stringer/floor work.