PDA

View Full Version : New boat for me. Need input.

TitanTn
10-14-2010, 09:54 PM
I have a new to me 86 Saltare. It's a great running boat but there are plenty of projects I'm wanting to do. I'm getting ready to do some serious compounding and polishing. I think I'll be able to bring back a good shine. I've started by removing the stock multi-color stripe along the bottom. You can see from the pictures included.

So my first question. After I get the shine back, should I put some version of Supra decals back on it, or do you like the look as is? I'm not interested in going back with the decals from 1986, but I don't know what else is out there. Any suggestions?

DAFF
10-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Invest in some 1500 / 2000 grit wet sand paper. This will help in removing the old oxidation from the gel coat. Then polish with marine grade 3m compound and go up the ladder from there.

As for the sticker stuff, sometimes less is more. perhaps a thin stipe of red at the water line and a modern Supra in the centre of the boat. I have aways liked the idea of the word supra pulling a cartoon figure ..... Lets face it, most haven't even seen a Supra...

edgewater1
10-15-2010, 06:54 AM
i like the look of the plain hall, but if our in fresh water, you could re paint the bottom, it would look cool if you could do a color scheme; graffiti art is always an option.

TitanTn
10-15-2010, 07:54 PM
I like the plain hull pretty well, but I'd think there are some Supra graphics packages or parts of a package that would look good here. I just don't know what they are.

jet
10-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Cleaner is better. Checkout my link below and you can see how shiny I got mine to come back. Rubbing compound did NOT work for me after wetsanding, just any liquid spay on stuff was the best. The compound would leave a dull residue and would not come back to a shine..I tried 2or3 brands plus a 3m brand, nothing worked.