PDA

View Full Version : What size prop do I need?

sydneyACE
10-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Just got my "bargain" 1984 Rider home, and I'm starting to round-up some parts I need.

It's missing it's prop. What size am I looking for?
1" shaft?
Tapered shaft or not?
13" Diameter?
10-13 ish on the pitch?
Left or right hand?

Thanks for the help!
Anyone have a cheap prop that will work?

jet
10-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Call ACME and the engineers there can help you, but you still have some say-so. I told them I wanted the biggest prop I could get 14x14RHx.105 cup. The boat will push 1700 lbs up and on plane in about 3-boat lengths,,out standing. GO BIG!! Who cares about 45-55 mph. Im sure yours is a RH also but call acme. Jet

DAFF
10-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Does anyone have two props??? One for pulling and one for top speed. I thought it might be nice to have a second prop where 45mph can be achieved while the engine is not running flat out.

What is the top speed of the boat?? With the optium speed prop.

mapleleaf
10-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Really depends on what ur doing.... I'm really on the fence here, only ever had a top end prop on my boat. Lots of fun when I'm on my own bombing around, but a little sluggish when she's weighted down. Gett'in up on a plane quick while boarding is also hard to beat....JT at Nettlesprops was great over the phone for advice.....

jet
10-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Thats like saying you want to drive your race car home from the track! Either you can (and its not fast) or you cant and (then, its really a fast race car). Its not practical.. You never know when your going to NEED to go fast and the boat would need to be trailered to change it out.

mapleleaf
10-16-2010, 08:31 AM
Jet's right.......

cadunkle
10-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Yeah it's just a happy medium kind of thing. If you trailer to the water and sometimes head out alone, with no chance of running into anyone to ride with it wouldn't be too bad to swap now and again, but I wouldn't want to swap props all the time. Anymore the ramp I use is literally 1/4 mile of no wake from where I ride, so I have little use for top speed, though with the 454 I haven't had any trouble thus far but max I've had is 520 lbs + 5 people. She'll do about 48 GPS maxxed out.

Best solution is more power, then you can still get on plane quick with a higher pitch prop. Some guys have posted on other forums about running sacked out boats with small engines and low pitch props turning 4000+ RPM at riding speed. Insane, but those folks probably go through engines every couple seasons. Sometimes you just need a bigger engine.

DAFF
10-16-2010, 06:47 PM
At this point I think the secret is keeping your prop in good shape and having it serviced regularly by the prop guy when a nick is found. For me the boat will be more a cruser than anything. With the little ones only 6 and 8 and less than 100lb combined. I might keep the 13-13 for a spare and run a nice 4 blade to get my fat but out of the water....

sydneyACE
10-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Oops! I forgot to subscribe to my own thread hehehe! I was wondering why I had no responses. Jet, it sounds like your prop has been kicking-ass for you. It's a 14x14 right?
I don't really care about jumping out of the water super-fast, but I do plan to put lots of weight in the boat. It would be nice to have a decent top-speed without having the engine wound-out. The boat is running a Chevy 350.
From my understanding a 4 blade has better "grip" and hole-shot properties, but use-up a little more power. Does that sound right?

I think maybe I'll just get the cheapest, used 3-blade I can find, so I can get a good "baseline" for further decisions.

Do old Supras have a tapered shaft? 1"?

Thanks!

jet
10-23-2010, 03:23 PM
yep..it only jumps out of the water if you ask it to. lol

14x14RHx.105

87SunSportMikeyD
10-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Hey Sydney - I can help out with the older models. Your prop is dependant on what the trans gear ratio is, and what the stock prop is. Yours should be a 1:1 VelvetDrive trans and a 13"diam x 13pitch. This is considered a speed prop.

If you are looking for more power without sacrificing much top speed I would look at a 13x11.5 or 13x11 for slightly more power.

If you are dedicated to wakeboarding and surfing with ballast over 1000lbs and that's all you do, then go with the stump puller 13x10.5.