PDA

View Full Version : Whats the advantage of gear reduction

old geezer
10-06-2004, 09:01 PM
I'm new to inboards and thinking of a purchase. I've been looking at Moombas but noticed that Supra offers a gear reduction transmission. What is the advantage? By the name I presume that the motor runs at a higher RPM than the prop shaft? Then you pitch the prop differently? Is this a big advantage??

Ed Obermeier
10-07-2004, 07:02 PM
My understanding of it is that gear reduction in a boat is similar to putting a lower geared rear end in a truck. You get more torque at the prop, which makes it harder for a large shortline skier to pull the boat speed and RPM down when pulling hard against the boat, which makes it easier to hold a constant speed (and get good course times) for the skier. You also get better hole shot, but with todays 300-plus hp engines that shouldn't be an issue. To me, if you use speed control (PerfectPass etc) the gear reduction isn't necessary. Spend the money on PerfectPass rather than gear reduction, you'll be glad you did!

Most of the newer high hp engines are unforgiving in the course and pretty much everyone I know with 300-plus hp runs the KX on their PP at KX minus to compensate.

Ed