PDA

View Full Version : Tower Dilemma - Repair or Replace??

Launchman2000
11-03-2010, 07:37 AM
The wakeboard tower (I assume it was original with the boat) on my 2000 Launch has a crack in a vertical weld on the main crossbar and it is creeping into the parent metal. Strike 1. I suspect the previous owners used the tower for tubing. There are gel coat cracks around some of the tower mounts also. Strike 2.

I store my boat in the garage and I have to remove the tower completely (a real pain). Strike 3. I only have a few inches of clearance above the windshield to get it into the garage.

Has anybody ever had a tower repaired, Option A? Searched on the forum and could not find anything specific.

Option B. New Tower, been looking at the Aerial Airborne Model, they are selling for $675 shipped on ebay right now, looks like a good deal and the installation does not look too difficult. Plus the tower folds flush with the windshield. Then there is the gelcoat repair of the old tower mounts. (Don't have a clue what that would cost, is it difficult to match colors and all??). I also want to get a bimini top and Aerial makes those that fit their towers, so another plus.

I've pretty much talked myself into Option B, but wanted to throw it out there if anyone else had any insight or experience on this. Thanks.

Okie Boarder
11-03-2010, 11:48 AM
I'd let a good aluminum welder take a look at it and quote you a price before going any further.

wotan2525
11-03-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm sure it could be fixed for much less than a new tower... but.... I'd get a new tower just so it can fold.

Don't throw that one away... PM me and I'll take it!

edit: Actually, I won't. But someone on here will take it. ;) I don't think it would mount up on my boat....

sybrmike
11-03-2010, 01:23 PM
My buddies with offshore fishing boats are regularly having their bimini/outrigger towers and railings repaired (those things take a pounding). Usually a couple hundred bucks for 6 or so welds at any decent fab shop. Definitely worth checking out some pricing unless you're set on option B.

Filling old holes and repairing cracks is probably in the 3-400 range. Matching old gelcoat is an artform, but with a good shop you'll never know they were there. I'd also look at some stiffening backing plates for the new/repaired tower while you've got it apart.

Wotan - don't tell me you're getting rid of that signature Eiffel Wake Tower???

wotan2525
11-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Wotan - don't tell me you're getting rid of that signature Eiffel Wake Tower???

Hahaha.... I'm always on the lookout for something a little more "attractive."

Shh! Don't tell my girlfriend! (j/k... she's awesome!)

Kip
11-04-2010, 03:30 PM
A good Tig welder should be able to fix most cracks. However if i had to remove my tower every time I wanted to store the boat I would be looking into a new universal tower. Also I would think someone would buy your old tower and repair it.

Good luck

viking
11-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Or find a good Fab shop and have them modify it when they fix it for quick disconnects of some kind so you can pull pins (or bolts) easily to remove the tower for storage and slap it back on when in use. Same concept as a folding tower but removable. Cost may be prohibitive and into a new tower but worth investigating. New tower is going to require new holes and repair of old holes and gelcoat so that factors into total cost as well. Just a thought!

cmtaylor777
11-08-2010, 08:51 PM
I had 2 spots where my tower cracked at the welds. I found a good weld shop and had it repaired. Probably better than new now. Trick is, make sure you have someone that knows what they are doing. Aluminum takes a great amout of heat to weld. A standard welder won't cut it.

rludtke
11-08-2010, 11:36 PM
I had 2 spots where my tower cracked at the welds. I found a good weld shop and had it repaired. Probably better than new now. Trick is, make sure you have someone that knows what they are doing. Aluminum takes a great amout of heat to weld. A standard welder won't cut it.

Aluminum doesn't necisarly require more heat than steel, as it has a much lower melting point. But, aluminum welding processes are very different from that of welding steel, and so to is the equipment. During the weld process, the molten puddle must be sheilded from oxygen. When welding steel by arc methods either flux covered rod or inert gas is used. The flux of the rod burns when heated, and creates a gas to protect the weld. The inert gas pools the weld area to sheild the weld. With aluminum processes, flux coated rod doesnt exist, so only inert gas methods can be used. Thes methods are called Metal Inert Gas (MIG), and Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG).

When looking for an aluminum weld repair shop, make sure your shop has ether MIG or TIG capability. For lighter tubing such as the boat tower, TIG is probably the preferred method, but a discussion with and review of simular project examples will give you confidence in the shop's ability to accomplish the repair with which ever process (MIG/TIG) they feel best suited for your repair.