PDA

View Full Version : What should we do need your vote repair fiberglass or buy new boat ?

rwadlow
11-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Okay we have some decisions to make over winter this year. I am going to try to paint the scenario for you . (aplogize this is long but gotta give ya the details)
We bought a 2002 22 ft launch LOADED V-drive Supra with about 700 hours on the engine back in 2008. The boat was mistreated cosmetically wise by its previous owners but the boat was always winterized by professional supra dealer. (also got a sweet deal on the boat money wise) I know the dealer & talked to them personally so mechanically I knew it was fine. The boat has a 3K radio system (radio mx speakers all that stuff booster, amps etc) upgraded ballast, built in cooler, shower you name it has it.
When we bought the boat the interior was pretty trashed and the radio really was'nt wired all that great.
We paid the supra dealer to fix all the interior detailed and rewired everything so the radio runs off one batter, engine runs off the other and it is all done right . The boat had cracks when we bought in the fiberglass around the tower and it has been reinforced with the plates. There are some cracks underneath the boat where the wake plate is too........
The boat ran perfect in 2009 at the end of the season one fuel pump went out (routine maintenance) had dealer replace both fuel pumps put new belt on engine we have put some money into this boat to make it perfect but had flawless season for summer of 2010 .
Okay here is the question husband was inspecting boat for winterzation time we noticed more cracks underneath on the fiberglass.

What should we do

1.) SELL as is recoup what we can buy new wakeboard boat we are spoiled now to a Vdrive and bigger boat so we are looking at spending 35K dont' like going in debt for recreation but at the same time we take extremely good care of our stuff and LOVE boating

2.) We know a guy who is the best in the state with fiberglass and paint
Spend a few thousand and have all the fiberglass cracks repaired for cosmetic and structural iissues ?

WE are really as a crossroads and any input would be great.
We owe 15K on our boat think since it is perfect inside (all NEW interior) upgrade ballast radio even with cracks could sell for $25 .....as you can touch any Vdrives that seat 14 people and the boat RUNS like no other .

Right now we are leaning toward fixing it but then I see the newer Malibu's and that shiny paint hmmmmmmm dont' know don't know what to do ......have till April to make a decision :)

thanks in advance sorry this was long !!!!

viking
11-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Based on your budget you are't going to find a NEW Malibu (or any NEW V-Drive boat that seats 14+) for that so I'd say fixer up.

Plus, sounds like you have a relationship with someone who will do the fix right and give you a good deal.

With the hours on your boat, the cosmetic issues, and in this economy, you will need to take a discount for any serious educated buyer. More than likely you will have to address the gelcoat to get it sold so might as wlell keep it!

Just My Opinion!

NOW - increase your budget to $70K or so and I vote buy new and I'll help you pick out your next ride :)

Okie Boarder
11-03-2010, 11:18 AM
I would vote for keeping it, as well. Fix it the way you want and make it your own, and work to pay it off so you don't have that debt to worry about with what we're going through in our economy. When the economy is looking better, look at getting something newer. By then, by paying down or paying off the boat and saving some more, your upgrade budget might be a little bigger too, which would be a good thing.

sybrmike
11-03-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm in the fix it camp as well. Cosmetics are just that - superficial. A few grand out of pocket to get it just they way you want sure beats another $10-20k of debt. Sounds like you've spent enough time to learn the boat, its systems, quirks, etc. and you like it. Any major problems should have surfaced by now. Even if you move up to a newer used boat with that budget, you won't know the history or what might fail the day after you get it home.

Sure, there's nothing like that new boat/car smell & shine, but all things mechanical will have problems eventually. Personally, things seem to drive better once they're paid for & I'd rather dump a few $100 here and there or even a grand or two for major repair than write a monthly check for years plus still risk a big repair bill.

rwadlow
11-03-2010, 02:30 PM
I agree and glad to hear it from you guys. The boat runs super great and the wake it makes for surfing is perfect for us. The boats we like too are really closer to the 48K range .......You are right nothing is like PAYMENT free :)
The guy we know with the fiberglass is top rated in the state and we know him personally so I know he will do an awesome job !!!

Okie Boarder
11-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Keep us posted. Put up a repair thread with some pictures too.

jet
11-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Fixer up!..post the repair pic's and post if you need help. Remember Its like fixing up and ole muscle car..ITS FUN to do it on your own!! Jet

and post a few more fun pics of you and your girlfriends. Oh and your husband to i guess. lol

Okie Boarder
11-05-2010, 10:44 AM
LOL, I 'd second the other pics. Maybe you can be the model for the repair process pics....LOL!

87SunSportMikeyD
11-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Without being a repair pro or getting to see the boat in person... Gelcoat cracks are cosmetic only. They may have a small negative impact on the value but should not be more than ~$2k from what I have read. There are many many gelcoat stress crack threads on wakeworld. Many boats have a few stress cracks, I wouldnt worry about them unless they continue to expand, etc, which shouldnt happen.

cadunkle
04-28-2011, 09:57 PM
If we're just talking minor gelcoat cracks, no big deal. They're cosmetic. leave them be or repair if it bothers you that much. Structural glass work, needs to be fixed if it's through the gel.

Either way, from the financial side I say do what you need to in order to be happy with what you have, and pay it off as quick as possible. I've never taken a loan on a toy, or even a car to drive every day... And I'd probably be considered pretty darn poor by most in the boating community. No sense paying interest when you don't have to.

I've had friends lose jobs and have to sell their toys or give them up to the bank. If I ever lost my job I got enough saved to coast for months in my lifestyle until my next job and I wouldn't have to sell any of my toys. Unless you're rich, it's not worth going into debt for toys... And if you are rich, you shouldn't have to go into debt for toys. A wise man once told me... "I have all the same things rich people do, but maybe not as nice or as new." Be content with what you have if it does what you need it to. Spend a few grand and get it looking great, you won't regret it.

DAFF
04-29-2011, 12:07 AM
These stress cracks are common on this era boat correct .... Sometimes a bird in the hand is way better than two in the bush, at least in this senario...